British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Foreign Badges and Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 27-05-08, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbear View Post
well zinkers are only picked up by type collectors in great condition and collectors unders financial restraints normally for a starter.
Oh really...I didn't realize German collectors had to adhere to such regulations.

Quote:
Now to condone applying water, brushing applying heat and then petroleum product to these badges is just plain nonesense.
Nobody said to apply heat. The methods mentioned in previous posts are recommended by a great many advanced collectors. Vaseline merely seals the badge. Obviously one would give a gentle cleaning and a thorough rinsing. The point of this is to remove the zinc pest...so that it cannot continue to deteriorate the badge.

Quote:
Guys there are some things you need to leave and let live they have done their time IMO and that FLAK posted would be one not to be touched
It's fortunate that you are not curator of the museum where this badge resides, then.

What exactly is your problem with anyone who has a slightly differing opinion to yours...why are you even on forums if you have such difficulty interacting with other human beings? Give it a rest, I grow tired of your nonsense, attitude and indecipherable ramblings. And, I'm certainly not alone.
Old 27-05-08, 10:18 AM

Quote:
well zinkers are only picked up by type collectors in great condition and collectors unders financial restraints normally for a starter. Now to condone applying water, brushing applying heat and then petroleum product to these badges is just plain nonesense. If they are that bad you don't waste your money for a start but if you have it drop into your lap and want to have it around for awhile just put it in its case and enjoy it while you have it , why speed up the process which is all I hear in the last few posts,I even have a bag of white gloves at the entrance to the german and cef room and all who put a pr on. But anyhow carry on adam et al get those zinkers cleaned up that heat expansion in the pores will do wonders when you dry them out bit worried about the soap residue oh well that should adhere to the petroleum jelly and maybe interact with whatever chems are in that. Guys there are some things you need to leave and let live they have done their time IMO and that FLAK posted would be one not to be touched
I'm well out of here ...

Regards

Chris
Old 27-05-08, 04:55 PM
Banned

Strickly for you Adam there seems to be a need to chase me down and bait me now you are TR COLLECTOR and you are going to insult me here
Old 28-05-08, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagwalther View Post
Hi Marcus,

Didn't know British Badges were your thing.

Regards

Chris

Didn't I send you the link to this site?

Yes, British medals and cap badges mate.
Old 28-05-08, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H View Post
Didn't I send you the link to this site?

Yes, British medals and cap badges mate.
Probably - just getting old and senile.

Regards

Chris
Old 31-05-08, 09:31 PM

These two German badges were said to have been brought back from Belsen Concentration Camp by a member of the Oueens Own Oxfordshire Hussars. One appears to be a Luftwaffe eagle, while the other may, perhaps, be from a more sinister organisation (?) I have just noticed that the swastika on the right hand badge is facing the wrong way.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg OXFYT391b.jpg (20.4 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg OXFYT391c.jpg (15.9 KB, 16 views)
Old 02-06-08, 01:13 AM
Banned

HI I think you just have the LUFT EAGLE sitting the wrong side up and it is a standard breast eagle for an OR, The other I am assuming is black with silver eagle which would be a breast eagle for Panzer members. The SS had a much different style alder.

PAUL
Old 02-06-08, 09:56 PM

I thought the black one might have been an SS adler because the Oxfordshire Yeomanry captured a small group of SS men (mainly mess orderlies and other non-combatants). I had better check the Luftwaffe eagle to see which way round it is!
Old 03-06-08, 03:20 AM
Banned

SENNALAGER was ajacent to Belsen AND WAS ONE OF THE MAIN panzer training areas in Germany plus PADABORN with its airbase would mean lots of Luft pers in the area for these guys to get souvenirs off of. Both insignia look mint so they got into the supply hut.I did allot of training in that area as a young grunt and while Belsen is just a memorial Sennalager is as it was then

PAUL
Old 03-06-08, 06:46 AM

The Adler (eagle) pictured on the left is the standard Third Reich National Insignia.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...%3Den%26sa%3DN

Michael
Old 03-06-08, 08:59 AM

The commander of the Yeomanry unit (then part of the Royal Artillery) that entered Belsen mentioned a “Panzer Training School” and a Wehrmacht training area, commanded by Oberst Harries “a decent chap of about 50”. The Oxfordshire Yeomanry moved in to the Panzer barracks, and so it is entirely feasible that they could have acquired some appropriate souvenirs.

I understand that the standard WWII German eagle was distinguished by the various colours or “waffenfarbe” in which it was displayed and so, again, it makes sense if the black adler was designed for use on a tank uniform. According to the above-mentioned site, the SS eagle was of a different design – presumably these ultra-Nazis wanted to distinguish themselves from the ordinary German servicemen.
Old 03-06-08, 07:53 PM
Banned

small but here is a standard SS SLEEVE EAGLES and officer luft eagle
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ss.jpg (1.6 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg ssSS.jpg (80.1 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg LUFT.jpg (84.5 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by guest_000; 03-06-08 at 07:59 PM. Reason: ADDITION
Old 03-06-08, 11:05 PM

Quote:
SENNALAGER was ajacent to Belsen AND WAS ONE OF THE MAIN panzer training areas in Germany plus PADABORN with its airbase would mean lots of Luft pers in the area for these guys to get souvenirs off of. Both insignia look mint so they got into the supply hut.I did allot of training in that area as a young grunt and while Belsen is just a memorial Sennalager is as it was then

PAUL

Hi Paul,

Sennelager is smack bang next to Paderborn; the airport as to this day is a good few minutes from Paderborn.

Hohne is near to Belson, but Paderborn must be an hour and a half if I recall from Belson.

Kr

Marcus
Old 03-06-08, 11:57 PM

Belsen covered a wide area, and seems in fact to have been several inter-linked camps. The ordinary German soldiers who accompanied the British into the main camp said that they had never been there before, and indeed, if they had attempted to go into the camp they would have been shot by the SS guards. When the small group of British and German soldiers reached the main gate they were met by the camp commandant, SS-Haupsturmfuehrer Alfred Kramer, who formally surrendered in expectation that he would be regarded as a prisoner of war - he was executed as a war criminal in December 1945.
Old 04-06-08, 02:50 AM

Hi Stanely,

The Germans built new and expanded some vast barrack facilities/training areas in the 1930's from Fallingbostel, Munsterlager and Bergen-Belson (Hohne), but keep in mind 'Bergen-Belson' being an seperate entity to the Belson concentration camp.

In addition of course they had Sennelager which had been a training area since Napoleonic times, amongst other places too.

So, it's a possible explanation the unissued cloth badges you show came from the Bergen-Belson 'training' barracks and subsequently from the stores there perhaps (we know this barracks as 'Hohne' post war rather than Belson, the latter being synonymous with the death camp of course)

Kr

Marcus