British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Formation Signs and Patches

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Closed Thread

Old 01-08-19, 11:59 AM

All the items in the links are non genuine items being sold as genuine.

P.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 01-08-19, 02:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Brydon View Post
Some examples or what happens in due course when repro (or whatever you what to call them ) items are produced:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10th-Batta...8AAOSwPNBdMw5y

and

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-8t...gAAOSwTglYk3b2

and

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Liverpool-...kAAOSws59dNNdE

P.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Brydon View Post
All the items in the links are non genuine items being sold as genuine.

P.
but only the middle link is being sold as original / genuine ?
not defending the seller but we need to be careful
Old 01-08-19, 03:08 PM

They are all described as used and there is no mention of them being fake/reproduction.

I personally think people are wasting their time highlighting fake stuff on here because as long as people including members of this forum continue to buy from the sellers and auctioneers who persistently flog this stuff (even if the odd badge is fine) the problem will never go away
Paul
Old 01-08-19, 03:16 PM

some T&Cs at an auction today.
It still didn’t stop people bidding stupid money at their sale
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C3A5CA7D-4FFC-43A8-ACE1-538AF7AA62A1.jpg (18.9 KB, 40 views)
Old 01-08-19, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Spellman View Post
I personally think people are wasting their time highlighting fake stuff on here because as long as people including members of this forum continue to buy from the sellers and auctioneers who persistently flog this stuff (even if the odd badge is fine) the problem will never go away
Paul
Agreed, but with a little knowledge, poor quality fakes are easy to spot The problem, as highlighted in the original post, is that the quality, method and materials used to make a replica formation sign are such, that with a few years of natural ageing, they will be indistinguishable from the real thing.
Old 01-08-19, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Spellman View Post
some T&Cs at an auction today.
It still didn’t stop people bidding stupid money at their sale
They surely couldn't get away with those T&Cs at Christie's when they are selling million dollar art works.
Old 01-08-19, 04:00 PM

Ahh but Simon,
They have similar qualifications, to me some auction houses are sinking to rag and bone men, actually that’s probably a slant on the men with a cart as they would more likely have genuine items-so my apologies to all rag and bone men.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 885C6E6A-CB2E-42D9-AC69-5BC5168711B6.jpg (27.2 KB, 26 views)
Old 01-08-19, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Wood View Post
They surely couldn't get away with those T&Cs at Christie's when they are selling million dollar art works.
Funny you should mention Christie's

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_vee View Post
Fair enough but sometimes even the "experts" are fooled.

"Bolton Museum paid £440,000 for the Amarna Princess figure, believing it had acquired a 3,300-year-old artefact.

But the statue of the granddaughter of King Tutankhamun was actually created by prolific forger Shaun Greenhalgh in his garden shed.

The Amarna Princess was authenticated by auctioneer Christie's and the British Museum before being bought by Bolton Museum"

Poppy and British Legion Wanted
Old 01-08-19, 10:59 PM

Quote:
The problem, as highlighted in the original post, is that the quality, method and materials used to make a replica formation sign are such, that with a few years of natural ageing, they will be indistinguishable from the real thing.
I disagree. I recently spoke to someone about fakes and they said it was easier to come to me and ask me. In other words, some serious collectors find it easier for whatever reason to send me photos or links to an item to verify if it is genuine. As a researcher and a small-time collector, I go the other way. When I first started collecting I would ask numerous questions about items from other serious collectors. Some knew what I wanted to know and some didn't but research has always been one of my great loves and sometimes it has taken me years to discover the facts. Some information I have never discovered and that may stay the case.
This may or may not sound arrogant but with what I collect I have no problems verifying whether it is genuine but I have spent years researching my subject.
It doesn't bother me that people don't or don't do any research on what they collect but then they shouldn't complain if they get conned.
Another problem is, including on this forum, collectors only ever get told whether an item is genuine or fake. Rarely are they told why it is fake and what distinguishes the genuine item from the fake one. Some collectors believe this alerts the people who get fakes made. It may alert them but I have never seen any evidence to show that they make items as good as the originals from having that knowledge.
Old 02-08-19, 10:08 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by akiko View Post
I disagree. I recently spoke to someone about fakes and they said it was easier to come to me and ask me. In other words, some serious collectors find it easier for whatever reason to send me photos or links to an item to verify if it is genuine. As a researcher and a small-time collector, I go the other way. When I first started collecting I would ask numerous questions about items from other serious collectors. Some knew what I wanted to know and some didn't but research has always been one of my great loves and sometimes it has taken me years to discover the facts. Some information I have never discovered and that may stay the case.
This may or may not sound arrogant but with what I collect I have no problems verifying whether it is genuine but I have spent years researching my subject.
It doesn't bother me that people don't or don't do any research on what they collect but then they shouldn't complain if they get conned.
Another problem is, including on this forum, collectors only ever get told whether an item is genuine or fake. Rarely are they told why it is fake and what distinguishes the genuine item from the fake one. Some collectors believe this alerts the people who get fakes made. It may alert them but I have never seen any evidence to show that they make items as good as the originals from having that knowledge.
I completely agree. I know what I collect inside out and have a general knowledge of other bits. If I wander outside my usual collecting field I ask someone who knows it better than me

aged repro cloth - will never look, feel and smell the same as WW2
Old 02-08-19, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akiko View Post
Which only goes to prove the old adage that you can fool all of the people some of the time and some of the people all of the time. but that you cannot fool all of the people all of the time.

That said, no one is infallible.

Simon. (Fifty years collecting and still learning).
Old 02-08-19, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slinky Cat View Post
I completely agree. I know what I collect inside out and have a general knowledge of other bits. If I wander outside my usual collecting field I ask someone who knows it better than me

aged repro cloth - will never look, feel and smell the same as WW2
It seems that you may have missed my point. 100 years from now, after the items have aged naturally, there will be no one alive who remembers what WW2 cloth felt or smelt like.
Old 02-08-19, 12:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
It seems that you may have missed my point. 100 years from now, after the items have aged naturally, there will be no one alive who remembers what WW2 cloth felt or smelt like.
Have you not heard of cryogenics?
I am going to be the first collector put into the deep freeze
Old 02-08-19, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Simon. (Fifty years collecting and still learning).
The amount of time collecting or the experience doesn't mean one is good at what they do. I have never understood why people think that because someone has done something for a long time that they must be good at what they do.
I don't know you maybe, but there are certainly others that aren't.

No-one learns everything but some learn a lot more than others.
Old 02-08-19, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Funny I have never smelt cloth to help me to decide it's age. I must be a noob.