British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Flying Corps and Royal Air Force

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 11-02-16, 03:26 PM

Default RFC Metal Wing

Not sure about the age or use of this metal wing ... had it for a few years ... did not cost the earth .. but would be interested to know if it is a fake/copy and what it was trying to be ...

Many thanks

Gary
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RFC~1.jpg (65.7 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg RFC~1x.jpg (64.8 KB, 103 views)
Old 11-02-16, 03:37 PM

used for picture frames....sadly.
..possibly a restrike, often sold as original pilots wings as used in ww1....incorrectly.
best wishes steve
Old 11-02-16, 05:19 PM

I agree with arrestingu. It is my understanding that any metal wing with horizontal tangs (blades) were never worn on or issued to pilots for their uniforms during the war.
The front side is still a very nice impression. Hard to date your example exactly.
Old 12-02-16, 08:53 AM

"did not cost the earth" very glad to hear that, but, that in turn should have spoke volumes in itself at the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landyman101 View Post
Not sure about the age or use of this metal wing ... had it for a few years ... did not cost the earth .. but would be interested to know if it is a fake/copy and what it was trying to be ...

Many thanks

Gary
Old 25-06-19, 04:09 PM

Following up on the initial post in this thread*, I picked up another identical example of this style of RFC wing from a recent British Auction House. Flight Badges of the Allied Nations 1914-1918 (2016) by Robert Pandis is an excellent and detailed book which covers the many variations of this wing. On page 27, they refer to this Jennens (J&Co) bronze wing as being the third Fattorini design variation due to the wear marks on the die.
Both these examples match the size and weight of the example on page 27 in the book. What isn’t clear to me is exactly when these were produced. Perhaps others have some information on this?
Photos show the front and back of this recent purchase and another showing my two examples (most recent on bottom and on the right).

*Correction: I actually meant to attach this to the following Thread but a similar topic in both.
https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...ad.php?t=49573
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RFC front.jpg (40.2 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg RFC wing reverse and pin.jpg (82.0 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg RFC wing reverse center.jpg (94.2 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg RFC metal wings, Jennens, J&Co, 3rd Fattorini design.jpg (52.5 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg RFC centers.jpg (91.7 KB, 29 views)

Last edited by zorgon; 25-06-19 at 10:25 PM. Reason: Added reference to correct link
Old 25-06-19, 06:03 PM

Hi
I believe some are period or used Gaunt moulds , they are Not legit pilot badges. Copies are definitely out there bladed and otherwise .
Regards
Steve