British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Other Commonwealth Military Insignia > Colonial Police and Paramilitary Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 08-10-13, 06:43 PM

Default Terra Nova Constabulary (Newfoundland)

Evening Gents

I’m trying to find information on the “Terra Nova Constabulary”* - later the “Newfoundland Constabulary”. From the somewhat patchy online sources I believe it was formed in 1871, in part from a re-organisation of the “St John’s Constabulary”, but also to provide law enforcement for the whole island. One source implies that the name change occurred c.1884, another suggests c.1895. Can anyone help me please?

*Googling may also throw up a group by the same name in Nevada which appears to be an anti-Federal militia - I didn’t pry any further as I don’t want a one-way trip to Gitmo (a return trip would be OK, as long as I could hit the PX for badges).

Thanks

Graham
I am looking to purchase items from the British Administration Police & Prison Services in Cyrenaica & Tripolitania; Eritrea & Ethiopia; Somalia (f. Italian Somaliland) & British Somaliland; & the Dodecanese: insignia, documents, photographs etc.
Old 10-10-13, 01:49 PM

Default Terra Nova Constabulary (Newfoundland)

The button that prompted my query has arrived (see pix).

Having a KC seems at odds with the possible dates of the force renaming to ‘Newfoundland Constabulary’, although the central “C” is still used by today’s “Royal Newfoundland Constabulary”*. Wikipedia also giving the founding of the force as 1871, with no mention either of “Terra Nova” or of later renaming.

I don’t know a lot about Canadian police forces - for many years I thought it was just the ‘Mounties’, so am I missing something here?

*http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ro...ulary_Logo.svg

Graham
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10Oct2013 005b.jpg (57.5 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg 10Oct2013 012b.jpg (53.1 KB, 6 views)
I am looking to purchase items from the British Administration Police & Prison Services in Cyrenaica & Tripolitania; Eritrea & Ethiopia; Somalia (f. Italian Somaliland) & British Somaliland; & the Dodecanese: insignia, documents, photographs etc.
Old 11-10-13, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chacal View Post
Evening Gents

I’m trying to find information on the “Terra Nova Constabulary”* - later the “Newfoundland Constabulary”. From the somewhat patchy online sources I believe it was formed in 1871, in part from a re-organisation of the “St John’s Constabulary”, but also to provide law enforcement for the whole island. One source implies that the name change occurred c.1884, another suggests c.1895. Can anyone help me please?

*Googling may also throw up a group by the same name in Nevada which appears to be an anti-Federal militia - I didn’t pry any further as I don’t want a one-way trip to Gitmo (a return trip would be OK, as long as I could hit the PX for badges).

Thanks

Graham
Graham,

The "Terra Nova" helmet plate (and buttons) were only worn by one force which have always been known as the Newfoundland Constabulary, later "Royal". Their current helmet plate and buttons still have on them the words "Terra Nova".

Dave.
Old 11-10-13, 11:41 AM

Graham,

See the attached photograph.

Dave.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rnc.jpg (83.5 KB, 62 views)
Old 11-10-13, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by altcar73 View Post
Graham,

The "Terra Nova" helmet plate (and buttons) were only worn by one force which have always been known as the Newfoundland Constabulary, later "Royal". Their current helmet plate and buttons still have on them the words "Terra Nova".

Dave.
Thanks Dave, that explains it. Just goes to show online sources should be treated with caution: it was confusing to have a site stating the "Terra Nova Constabulary" was set up in the 1870s and that they were renamed years later.

And thanks for sharing your fantastic collection - if I wasn't aiming to have ONE item of insignia to represent each country/territory I'd be really jealous.

All the best

Graham
Old 25-02-19, 03:28 AM

Wow I do like your photo of the Royal Newfoundland Constabulary badges. Nice Collection.