British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 18-08-19, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfenzy1 View Post
Can someone help me with this one please ? Could it be RND ?
Hi, This is the right collar badge of the 8th (South Canterbury) Mounted Rifles (New Zealand).
Hat badge was the Earl of Ranfurly's Coat of Arms and Crest, collar badge was the Crest.
Cheers, Tinto

(John beat me to it!)
Old 19-08-19, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinto View Post
Hi, This is the right collar badge of the 8th (South Canterbury) Mounted Rifles (New Zealand).
Hat badge was the Earl of Ranfurly's Coat of Arms and Crest, collar badge was the Crest.
Cheers, Tinto.)
I am very pleased that our collective knowledge has found the answer to the question, one of the strengths of this forum. The third picture is the cap badge. It seems that the 8th (South Canterbury) Mounted Rifles was a relatively short lived unit, 1898-1921, so the badges must be relatively scarce.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ranfur 002.jpg (81.5 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg ranfur 001.jpg (81.7 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Rath 002.jpg (66.0 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by High Wood; 19-08-19 at 08:25 AM.
Old 19-08-19, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Wood View Post
I am also worried that we might be deterring new members from asking questions if we don't let them 'think out loud' when they post.

Simon.
I'm a 'novice' , I don't have all the books or access to the various 'lists' etc but I try to help. My post showing the "Earl's coronet" may have had nothing to do with the badge but it could have possibly have sparked a memory of a member.

If anything I post is completely wrong I welcome being told , it's the best way to learn but if I am simply 'shot down' then it may make me think twice about posting.

Poppy and British Legion Wanted
Old 19-08-19, 10:07 AM

Your post was extremely helpful, I wouldn't have trawled through Burke's Peerage looking for an Earl whose crest contained a Falcon Perched Proper without it. I was convinced that it was a livery badge and was surprised to see that it also had a regimental use. Despite one notable exception, no one on the forum claims to know enough to need to stop learning. In many areas of badge collecting, we are all novices.

Last edited by High Wood; 19-08-19 at 10:13 AM.
Old 19-08-19, 01:43 PM

Simon

My bad! I was just putting the nail in the 'Hood' coffin. But, unnecessarily and perhaps heavy handedly, it appears. Carried away by the 'puzzle' aspect.

Peter
Old 19-08-19, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_vee View Post
Starting point ?

"The coronet of an earl shows five "pearls" raised on tall spikes, alternating with four strawberry leaves."

I never knew they were strawberry leaves. How peculiar
Old 19-08-19, 11:02 PM

Thank you very much sir for posting the answer and getting to the bottom of this. I am a new member and also a new collector. My knowledge in the eyes of some may be limited, but no matter how long I could have studied a standard badge reference book and all of its various sections, I would not have found the answer to this. Thanks again, and thanks to everybody who took part. I will now put a name to my mystery badge and continue to post questions on badges that I feel worthy of asking about, for that is the very reason I joined the forum in the first place.
Kind Regards, Jim
Old 20-08-19, 08:16 AM

Jim welcome to the forum an excellent place to increase ones knowledge We are all learning all of the time. Like simon you misunderstood my post please read both
David