British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 27-10-18, 12:52 PM

Default Nottingham (or Colchester) badge?

Can anyone identify this badge? Arms of Nottingham (or Colchester - they are pretty much the same without the supporters) with a King's crown. Stamped, plated white metal, approx. 37mm x 50mm. I thought police or fire brigade at first but can't find a match. The marriage between the shield and the crown seems a little bit inelegant but it appears to have been done in the creation of the die rather than two badges soldered together. Odd. Any information gratefully received!

nottingham-crown-01.jpg

nottingham-crown-02.jpg
Old 27-10-18, 01:53 PM

Coat of Arms of Colchester. Nice badge. If you are interested in parting with it let me know.

Dave.
Old 27-10-18, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soultrader View Post
The marriage between the shield and the crown seems a little bit inelegant but it appears to have been done in the creation of the die rather than two badges soldered together.
I beg to differ. As the badge is plated, see the lugs, the crown and shield could very well have been put together afterwards, and then plated.

Rgds, Thomas
Old 28-10-18, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by altcar73 View Post
Coat of Arms of Colchester. Nice badge. If you are interested in parting with it let me know.

Dave.
It will probably find its way onto ebay if and when I discover what it is. I do like to identify stuff before I part with it though!
Old 28-10-18, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fougasse1940 View Post
I beg to differ. As the badge is plated, see the lugs, the crown and shield could very well have been put together afterwards, and then plated.

Rgds, Thomas
I take your point. It's the neatest bit of soldering I've ever seen though! Rock solid on a quite thin stamped badge. I wonder why anyone would go to the trouble though?
Old 19-08-19, 02:51 PM

Default Identified

It turned out in the end that it was a Colchester Police badge, only issued to Women Police Constables, of which there were very few at the time. So - very few issued and very few survived. File under hen's teeth - it sold very well indeed
Old 19-08-19, 04:42 PM

why are you bragging?

The help you got on here didnt seem to merit offering it to us on here first I see!!!

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 19-08-19, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soultrader View Post
It turned out in the end that it was a Colchester Police badge, only issued to Women Police Constables, of which there were very few at the time. So - very few issued and very few survived. File under hen's teeth - it sold very well indeed
I think your forum name says it all.
Old 19-08-19, 05:50 PM

Sorry if I offended anyone. I did tell the people who responded to the original post that I was putting it on ebay so they could (and did) bid on it. I didn't learn what it was until after it was sold (before Christmas). I thought that identifying the badge might help someone else in the future to be aware of its rarity and possible value. Again apologies if you think I was 'bragging' and therefore worthy of abuse. It wasn't my intention. I have had nothing but positive experiences on the forum until now and people have been very helpful and knowledgeable for which I am grateful. I have no desire to get into a slanging match with anyone.
Old 19-08-19, 06:17 PM

"I didn't learn what it was until after it was sold". When you find yourself in a hole, stop digging!

Dave.