British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 31-07-19, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kelley View Post
Interestingly, the only examples I've had with a provenance, including this one, were Firmin made.
The regiment was very badly mauled in the wretched Bocage, notwithstanding, it's members did their best with the equipment they had been given, it was, on occasion, certainly better to bale than face certain death.

Of the verifiable ORs cap badges in private collections and those retained by the families of ex-24L, I’ve encountered both the Firmin slidered (maker marked and unmarked) and Gaunt lugged versions, only.

To date, I am not aware of a Gaunt white-metal ORs slidered badge with any provenance.

In one such named group to a former 24L SNCO in private hands, not only does this array consist of one Firmin slidered and one Gaunt lugged cap badge, but an elusive NCOs arm badge, too.

This group in my collection belonged to a founding intake member of the regiment. It’s a fairly large and comprehensive group comprising of several hundred personal letters, other paperwork, his AB64, entitled medals, several photographs and various related badges.

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...ctureid=171600

Tpr. S.A. Nash, was among the first of 235 conscripts to join the 24L on the 18th December, 1940; see his RAC Tracer Card in the link:

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...ctureid=171599

Within the group are the two 24L cap badges issued to Tpr. Nash, these are from a Gaunt die and lugged. The single ORs white-metal collar has been converted to a brooch by means of a soldered safety pin; which would appear to be a common utilisation of the unworn ORs collar badges in the effects of former 24L.

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...ctureid=171598

Sorry for the links, I’m unable to ‘close the window’ once any images are uploaded in a post, yet I am able to post in my album - probably because I’m using an I Phone.

Best,

Marcus

Last edited by Marcus H; 31-07-19 at 02:33 PM.
Old 31-07-19, 07:05 PM
Super Moderator

I strongly suspect that the Gaunt dies were the ones used to make the restrikes in the 70's. Possibly by the firm or when their dies fell into faker's hands. Firmin dies have not been used for restrikes in the same way to my knowledge.
Old 31-07-19, 08:04 PM

Yes - I totally concur with your suspicions, Alan.
Old 01-08-19, 07:30 AM

To Frank , Marcus and Alan thank you so much gents for your time and info its helped
out a lot I have a better understanding of this badge...much appreciated.

The second badge I posted with slider is on its way

Very nice little collection Marcus

Cheers fellas.
Paul.

Last edited by BHC1944; 01-08-19 at 07:32 AM. Reason: add
Old 01-08-19, 12:41 PM

I have to say I'm not a great fan of the basic rank and file badges made by Gaunt in the case of the 22D, 23H, 24L and 27L, I much prefer Firmin made examples, with the other two regiments, I prefer those made in India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
I strongly suspect that the Gaunt dies were the ones used to make the restrikes in the 70's. Possibly by the firm or when their dies fell into faker's hands. Firmin dies have not been used for restrikes in the same way to my knowledge.