British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Flying Corps and Royal Air Force

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 12-07-20, 10:04 AM

Default RAF Winged Boot

Hi all please could I ask your advice on this Winged Boot, for authenticity and what ought I to be considering on a reasonable price? I know you pay up to and over if you really want it! But need a guide to go by! And especially if a copy I would be gutted!

The Hallmarks on it refer to Egypt one is visable the other isn't have asked seller to send more but can't get through just yet? Many thanks in advance Billy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200712_105158-1.jpg (117.6 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg 20200712_105217-1.jpg (70.3 KB, 81 views)
Old 12-07-20, 10:52 AM

This looks like a copy to me. The finish overall is too smooth and is most probably a jeweller made item. All the real items I have seen are much rougher castings. I also think it was unlikely that they were hallmarked at the time they were made. Attached is a pic of one that I believe is real.
Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg boot.jpg (22.8 KB, 65 views)
Old 12-07-20, 11:04 AM

I think that is of recent manufacture, to be quite honest, those badges and similar, Caterpillar Cub and so on, are really best bought as part of a well documented and therefore completely verified group to a particular recipient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy View Post
Hi all please could I ask your advice on this Winged Boot, for authenticity and what ought I to be considering on a reasonable price? I know you pay up to and over if you really want it! But need a guide to go by! And especially if a copy I would be gutted!

The Hallmarks on it refer to Egypt one is visable the other isn't have asked seller to send more but can't get through just yet? Many thanks in advance Billy
Old 12-07-20, 11:26 AM

There have been many of these on eBay in recent months, and there are many on there now (even cloth badges!). Prices for them range, one that looks close to the example Dave has shown - went for £360.

Personally, without good provenance I would be reluctant to purchase any of these. Frank's suggestion of a known group is the best idea for that kind of money in my opinion.
Old 12-07-20, 02:55 PM

Thank you all, one of my dream to find badges! All the best billy
Old 12-07-20, 04:48 PM

...my original ...you can tell the difference between originals and copies the more you look at the real examples !!
Best wishes
Steve
Old 15-07-20, 07:10 PM

Default Winged Flying Boot

Have been sent better images by the seller, well they where till I cropped them and now they look like this! You can seevthe Cat a lot better but others?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg f1bcf23c8d95a2691a22324825266efa-2-1.jpg (50.1 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg 3d0ff66ed76ccbbf897d86fbb9bcaae6-3-1.jpg (57.8 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg 4518445dccc8a34114e9595af5e5f372-1.jpg (34.1 KB, 37 views)
Old 15-07-20, 07:28 PM

They are still 100% fake !! Lol
Old 15-07-20, 09:05 PM

Yeah! Got it Steve and thanks! putting up here for people to see and not buy similar! Would hate it if a member bought obe when a decent picture could have prevented it! Msny thanks to all for there thoughts billy
Old 28-01-21, 08:09 PM

Hi all resurrecting this thread as a friend just shown me a recent buy, so am loading here for your thoughts on it and so he knows please post your thoughts on it please.

Bought a month ago so is returning still possible and if he meets resistance from seller has he some recourse? (Identical to one I listed, before Forum highlighted the wrongness of it!) This is from the same mould by the look of it though not Hallmarked and broach fitting against my loops!

Would contacting Ebay and saying badge a Forgery get any attention? What would beca next step to takecto get reimbursed?

Many thanks Billy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210128_194947-1.jpg (57.2 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg 20210128_195022-1.jpg (64.0 KB, 33 views)
Old 29-01-21, 01:11 AM

I think this is the same die as the item you originally posted but with the lugs replaced by the pin. Still a fake and nothing like the known real items as shown in the posts above. The originals were mainly made of brass and silver plated. The reverses were much rougher and the wing had three sets of feathers not two. I think he should contact the vendor about return of the item and if nothing forthcoming he should contact ebay re the fakery.
Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Winged boot reverse.jpg (47.5 KB, 26 views)

Last edited by dragon166; 29-01-21 at 01:17 AM.
Old 29-01-21, 06:36 AM

Dave its Jasons badge! Told him it's similar (Identical!! comparing to original posting), as stated Lugs - Hallmarks are out and pin fastener - Silver mark are In, but a month has gone by, by contacting Ebay or Paypal and saying this is an actual fake will they Act On It?

How to push this forward to get his money back is what I would like to hear and if Forum members have had similar, and have an outcome how did they do it?

All the best billy
Old 29-01-21, 08:02 AM

Despite the passage of time I think there might be a chance if it was offered as original and paid for via a card, it should be returned with a note stating it is not original and therefore not as described and then let the paypal/card company deal with the matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy View Post
Hi all resurrecting this thread as a friend just shown me a recent buy, so am loading here for your thoughts on it and so he knows please post your thoughts on it please.

Bought a month ago so is returning still possible and if he meets resistance from seller has he some recourse? (Identical to one I listed, before Forum highlighted the wrongness of it!) This is from the same mould by the look of it though not Hallmarked and broach fitting against my loops!

Would contacting Ebay and saying badge a Forgery get any attention? What would beca next step to takecto get reimbursed?

Many thanks Billy
Old 29-01-21, 07:57 PM

Thanks Frank I will check this out with him all the best billy
Old 29-01-21, 08:59 PM

Result! He has been offered a full refund said he himself had bought the badge in good faith, until I get sellers name thus could be true? Just him moving on a badge he thought real? When I get the namecI will post, all the best billy