British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 16-10-18, 12:44 AM

Default Mystery Medal

Good Evening All

Son of a Veteran brought his medals in for me to make a shadow box. War medals were obvious, but he also had a couple of Buy-me-a-medal types. Two I've been able to identify what it is and at least one source. The third is a mystery to me. I poked around for a while but can't seem to come up with a who, what or where this came from.

It is a very light coated cast medal with a really nice Canada bar to it. The medal reminds me of what the first poor copies of the general service medals were like. I'd be afraid to drop it lest it break, that's how flimsy it feels.

So, anyone any idea?

thanks.
phil
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Paul's Medal Front.jpg (46.6 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg Paul's Medal Back.jpg (47.2 KB, 52 views)
Old 16-10-18, 01:26 PM
Glosters Cloth

Phil,
I think this is one of a series of commemorative medals struck by a firm called SERVICE COMMEMORATIVES in Leicestershire owned by Stephen Kellaway. The medal you have is their NATIONAL DEFENCE MEDAL, selling at £75. Bars are added at extra cost.
Hope that helps?
Ken ��
Old 16-10-18, 01:42 PM

£75? Strewth, that's an eye-opener, I thought this sort of thing went for about £20.
Old 16-10-18, 01:47 PM

Buy your own, made up, service medals??? Wow
Old 16-10-18, 02:26 PM
Glosters Cloth

Check out the website.
Enough medals there to kit out a Division, if you have enough money
Old 16-10-18, 04:28 PM

Another good investment
Old 16-10-18, 06:26 PM

£70.....is it silver ?
Andy
Old 16-10-18, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glosters Cloth View Post
Phil,
I think this is one of a series of commemorative medals struck by a firm called SERVICE COMMEMORATIVES in Leicestershire owned by Stephen Kellaway. The medal you have is their NATIONAL DEFENCE MEDAL, selling at £75. Bars are added at extra cost.
Hope that helps?
Ken ��
Spot on, Ken. Thank you. There are so many places that do these things now, it is hard to keep up and/or ferret out the source.

This one is the steepest price of the three he has. One was £45 - Back reads For all who strive for peace. The other was from Bigburymint and was £68. Reads on the front, For General Service and has and engraved back to it with his Name, rank, branch and number.

Interesting thing is that he also wore a medal that I question whether he was entitled to, never having left Canada. Didn't think that if you never left the mainland of this country, you would be eligible for the Defence Medal. Maybe there are special circumstances, but others may know.

This image gives the full meal deal. Notice the one we have been talking about is far left side. The far right side is Legion 75th Medal.

Anyway, I keep bumping into the odd guy with these. Hard part is court mounting them, as they want done. Couple of times, I've had to buy for the chap a second medal to get enough ribbon to court mount them. Propriatal ribbon makes you dance to the owner's wishes. I digress.

Thanks very much for this assistance.

phil
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Paul's Medals.jpg (22.2 KB, 34 views)
Old 16-10-18, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grenadierguardsman View Post
£70.....is it silver ?
Andy
Nope, white metal coated, from my best guess. From the vendor's website, it says:

The Medal is die-struck and has a high grade bright nickel finish with the design being deliberately reminiscent of the by-gone days of 'Empire'.

As I said in the original post, Andy, I would be really careful not to drop it. There is no heft to it as my jeweller friend says.
Old 16-10-18, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil2M View Post
Buy your own, made up, service medals??? Wow
You can look like a Russian General if you like or a real Walt! Your call. How deep are your pockets?
Old 17-10-18, 09:28 AM

Have chequebook, will look like a Ugandan Field Marshal with the stroke of a pen.

Having been on parade on Whitehall on Remembrance Sunday the last few years it makes my heart sink to see all these types wandering around with more medals than Monty and only one - and in too many cases none - of them official.

Before anyone cavils, I am aware that some of the makers state they give a donation to the RBL or such but £75 a pop it's a sour joke.
Old 17-10-18, 05:13 PM

Good day Phil,

First off, I'm not a medal guy AND I am not up on issuing criteria. This is in reference to your question in Post #8 regarding whether the gent was entitled to wear the Defence Medal 39-45. As he has the Canadian Volunteer Service Medal and the War Medal 39-45, but no campaign stars, the possibility exists that he may have been posted to Newfoundland for the required length of time to qualify for the Defence Medal.

During WWII, Newfoundland was still part of the British Empire, having reverted back to colony status between the wars due to dire financial straits they found themselves in after WWI. Newfoundland did not become a province of Canada officially until 1949.

So, this may explain his medals. Volunteered for service during the war, and met the criteria for the other two (CVSM and War Medal), and served in Newfoundland, meeting the criteria for the Defence Medal. OR, he's just a faking wannabe who is not entitled to anything he's wearing in the pick. Don't know enough to say one way or the other.

If other experts from my side of the pond can give another explanation and tell me I'm out in left field, I'm more than willing to hear it. As I said, I'm not a medal guy.

Hope this helps in some way.

Regards,

Ian B
The day the government succeeds in taking away our dress uniforms, badges and colours, and all the so called "non-functional" items; they will find themselves with an army that cannot defend them. Robert Heinlein, "Starship Troopers"

Tags
canada bar, commemorative medal, for service