British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Corps, Branches and the Royal Canadian Artillery

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 29-11-15, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltigeur View Post
Bill, if you look closely to the woman's collar badge,it is,if I'm not mistaken,those of the British Women's Transport Servive of the FANY....or maybe I'm in need of new glasses...

see attached pphoto of collar badge.... http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...6&d=1361565307
photo from High Wood,22/02/13
Jo
I would say it's the FANY not the MTC (Mechanised transport Corps)
Old 29-11-15, 08:04 AM
Hanbut

Default Canadian ATS??

Bill the collar badge does look like FANY but could be MTC as it looks like a small shoulder title she is wearing, certainly does not look like ATS collars or title, Andrew
Old 29-11-15, 12:08 PM

The last post has prompted me to look again at the collar badges and I believe they are those of the Mechanised Transport Corps which did have a Canadian Section. I attach an extract from my book on the MTC published in 2008 which explains the section and illustrates the Maple Leaf badge being worn.

The question of Maple Leaf arm badges for Canadian ATS volunteers is covered in this extract from my forthcoming book on British cloth insignia.

Jon

"That women from many countries had joined the ATS was confirmed in September 1941 when AA Command asked if an Australian auxiliary serving with them could wear an ‘Australia’ designation. Pointing out that the Army only permitted national designations if an entire unit came from that country while Australian WAAFs could wear them even if not serving with an Australian unit, Jean Knox, recently-appointed Chief Controller, ATS wrote ‘I am of the view that the ladies of the Dominions…voluntarily recruited [should] wear the name of their country; our women are scattered in twos and threes…it is important that they are recognised by their men over here.’

Consultations with the military headquarters of the countries concerned revealed that New Zealand’s Military Liaison Officer was happy for ATS from his country to use the black and white title ‘already in production and more easily available’ worn by the Second New Zealand Expeditionary Force. Newfoundland agreed that the red on khaki title worn by their RA unit in Britain could be adopted but Canada’s British Military HQ was informed by its National Defence HQ that the ‘Canada’ title or the maple leaf was to be restricted to Canadian Army units.

‘Dominion Designations’ to be worn by complete platoons and companies or individuals serving on their own, were authorised in April 1942 for ATS recruited in the UK born in Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Rhodesia and Newfoundland or who had lived there for three years immediately before joining up. Paid for by the wearer and worn at the top of both sleeves they were described as khaki rectangles ⅜ inch wide with ¼ inch pale buff letters except those for New Zealand and Newfoundland which were of the patterns originally suggested".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cdn MTC.jpg (95.9 KB, 22 views)
Old 29-11-15, 12:27 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks Jon et al. There is a much better image of the maple leaf patch in Jon's post. Does anyone know the colours of the patch? And does anyone have an example?
Old 29-11-15, 12:33 PM
Super Moderator

Jon, a question about the Canada nationality title in your image. Is that attributed to the ATS MTS (Canadian), or is it a generic title that you used for illustration purposes?
Old 29-11-15, 01:46 PM

Bill,

No direct connection but it appeared to be the pattern worn in the photograph.

A further example attached.

Jon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MTC armband Canadian recruit detail JM.jpg (36.7 KB, 21 views)
Old 29-11-15, 01:54 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks Jon. There were innumerable patterns of the Canada nationality produced during the war, but only a few were the authorized design. The arched patterns were not authorized and were provided by makers for private purchase. Many individuals and in some cases units, purchased these titles.
The quality of the title in your first image is not great. The lettering is uneven in height and sloping. This would not have been acceptable on authorized patterns. But with the ATS MTS (Canadian contingent) not being under Canadian control or supply lines, they could have aquired just about anything available on the market.