British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > New Member Introduction Zone

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 27-06-11, 04:28 PM

Default Hello from Berkshire.

Hello All.

Have just joined and as this is my first ever forum joining - I really haven't got a clue how to find my way round. It has taken ages to get this far!
Well here goes and best of British as they say. I am British by descent but born Rhodesian having emigrated to Zimbabwe-Rhodesia without moving and then again to the new Zimbabwe again without packing my bags! Now am ensconsed in 'Blighty' and doing research on my family history. I have recently inherited a photo of my granddad taken in South Africa 1903 in military uniform. This is the first hint of him ever being in the military as far as I have known. So I am trying to trace origins,details etc. Could not find anything at the National Archives - so in "Googling" - was drawn to this sight.

I have this one and only picture of him in uniform - taken in Potchefstroom in 1903. Very high res scans of the collar area don't give much detail but shown below is the best I can get at revealing collar insignia.

Can anyone help?

Thanks in anticipation.
Mick.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Granddad.jpg (54.9 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg Granddad Collar.jpg (38.5 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg Granddad Collar Badge close up.jpg (22.4 KB, 19 views)
Old 27-06-11, 06:07 PM

Hello Mick and welcome to the forum.

If you post the photo's on the forum for badge i.d. you should have more luck with getting a reply.
Old 28-06-11, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkatnest View Post
Hello All.

Have just joined and as this is my first ever forum joining - I really haven't got a clue how to find my way round. It has taken ages to get this far!
Well here goes and best of British as they say. I am British by descent but born Rhodesian having emigrated to Zimbabwe-Rhodesia without moving and then again to the new Zimbabwe again without packing my bags! Now am ensconsed in 'Blighty' and doing research on my family history. I have recently inherited a photo of my granddad taken in South Africa 1903 in military uniform. This is the first hint of him ever being in the military as far as I have known. So I am trying to trace origins,details etc. Could not find anything at the National Archives - so in "Googling" - was drawn to this sight.

I have this one and only picture of him in uniform - taken in Potchefstroom in 1903. Very high res scans of the collar area don't give much detail but shown below is the best I can get at revealing collar insignia.

Can anyone help?

Thanks in anticipation.
Mick.
Hi Mick,

Welcome to the forum.
I'm British born but live in South Africa. I primarily collect British badges but have seen your Granddads badge.
Nice pic of your Granddad! The collars look like the Light Horse Regt, originally Imperial Light Horse, raised in 1899, formed by amongst others Sir Percy Fitzpatrick, (Jock of the Bushveld,) but there are other South Africans far more knowledgeable about SA insignia.
The Regiment is still in existence as an armoured car regt.
There is also a South African & Rhodesian section if you page down past Canadian and Australian.
I see the significance of your name, Hawkatnest.

Have fun & regards,

Iain
Old 28-06-11, 06:26 PM

Welcome to the Forum.
Old 28-06-11, 07:21 PM

Hi Mick
a warm welcome to the forum
great picture of your grandad
regards julian
Old 01-07-11, 12:01 PM

Default Imperial Light Horse,

Hi Mick,

Your post certainly brought back a few memories to me as I made my number with Imperial Light horse at the Drill Hall in Johannesburg back in the 1960's and was in thre process of joining them when I went to a Transvaal Horse Artillery (HAC/THA Mess Club) Dinner at the Rand Club and got lead astray.

I am attaching hereto a picture of an Imperial Light Horse badge I picked up in 'Skies', (Bulawayo) about fifteen years ago and it has simply hung around ever since.

The badge measures about 4 inches x 4 inches and I have always assumed it to be the arm badge of a Colour Sergeant, worn above three stripes, but I am guessing.

I do not collect in this field and if it is of interest to you then you are welcome to this badge as a gift - call it a 'Welcome to the Forum'

Sorry about the poor photograph, but that was about the last drop of ink in the cartridge.

Edited to add: Perhaps it is a blazer badge?

Regards,

John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Imperial L.H..jpg (96.2 KB, 34 views)

Last edited by johnG; 02-07-11 at 05:49 AM.
Old 28-04-19, 04:51 AM

Hi John, that is a very scarce and amazing find.
Old 28-04-19, 07:05 AM

It is indeed a blazer badge on a pocket and NOT a Colour Sergeant badges.

regards

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnG View Post
Hi Mick,

Your post certainly brought back a few memories to me as I made my number with Imperial Light horse at the Drill Hall in Johannesburg back in the 1960's and was in thre process of joining them when I went to a Transvaal Horse Artillery (HAC/THA Mess Club) Dinner at the Rand Club and got lead astray.

I am attaching hereto a picture of an Imperial Light Horse badge I picked up in 'Skies', (Bulawayo) about fifteen years ago and it has simply hung around ever since.

The badge measures about 4 inches x 4 inches and I have always assumed it to be the arm badge of a Colour Sergeant, worn above three stripes, but I am guessing.

I do not collect in this field and if it is of interest to you then you are welcome to this badge as a gift - call it a 'Welcome to the Forum'

Sorry about the poor photograph, but that was about the last drop of ink in the cartridge.

Edited to add: Perhaps it is a blazer badge?

Regards,

John

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges