British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 09-11-14, 11:45 PM

Default Possible to date Welsh Guards Tunic?

Hi

I was wondering if its possible to date a Welsh Guards tunic that has had the lining removed (this normally has the date I think)? It has brass KC buttons so I know its pre 1952 but 1915-1952 is a pretty big range

Thanks

Conor
Old 10-11-14, 09:58 PM

Some pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg M7744_Tunic_Welsh_Guards.jpg (60.8 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg M7744_Welsh_Guards_tunic.jpg (45.7 KB, 54 views)
Old 10-11-14, 10:10 PM

If not for the buttons I would have said this was fairly modern. I have seen a 1937 dated example of this version so I assume it was introduced sometime during the inter wars period.

Jerry
Old 16-11-14, 01:57 PM

Location: I live in New Brighton on the Wirral, in the north West of England.

As the Welsh Guards where a war raised unit (1915) it is probable they didnt have tunics until about 1920 give or take. As far as I know it hasnt changed since then appart from the kings crown/queens crown and the introduction of staybright buttons. Appart from that, this one looks exactly like the one I was issued in 1967.
Old 16-11-14, 02:27 PM

Maybe wrong but did the guards wear metal shoulder titles in full dress up until c.ww2. as the service dress but without the letters.
Iain
Old 16-11-14, 05:39 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john badge View Post
As the Welsh Guards where a war raised unit (1915) it is probable they didnt have tunics until about 1920 give or take. As far as I know it hasnt changed since then appart from the kings crown/queens crown and the introduction of staybright buttons. Appart from that, this one looks exactly like the one I was issued in 1967.

John,
There was a post War austerity tunic for senior ranks, which did not feature as much embellishment and Ian as far as I'm aware in Full Dress (Tunic Order) embroidered titles have always been worn, whether worsted or bullion! Some Guards Regiments have the addition of metal components to the otherwise embroidered badges for Senior Ranks (Sgts & WOs). On Battle Dress and No 2 Dress both metal and "Mud Guard" style cloth title have been worn, sometimes both concurrently?

Andy
Old 16-11-14, 11:32 PM

Conor

If the buttons are original to the tunic then it probably dates pre c.1950 as the Welsh Guards changed from brass to anodised KC buttons around this date.

As regards the comment by Iain regarding the use of metal shoulder titles in full dress pre WW2, Westlake also states this but I agree with Andy. I've seen numerous photos of Guardsmen in full dress from the Victorian period to the present and as far as Grenadier, Coldstream, Irish & Welsh Guards are concerned they always seem to have embroidered shoulder badges.

Scots Gds did wear a metal Star of the Order of the Thistle on the full dress shoulder straps for a time between the wars. Westlake shows one and I have one in my collection. They also wear a small regimental button in the centre of the embroidered star, I thought this was worn by all ranks but it may just be NCO's & WO's.

David
Old 17-11-14, 01:01 AM

If you can show interior pictures , the inside of the pockets I may be able to help
Old 21-11-14, 09:06 AM

Many thanks everyone for the interest. Have attached a few extra photos that I've taken on my phone.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image1.jpg (44.5 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg image2.jpg (42.2 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg image3.JPG (113.8 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg image4.JPG (111.8 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg image5.jpg (39.4 KB, 23 views)
Old 21-11-14, 09:40 AM

I had some brass kc welsh guards buttons from pirbright camp in 1984? So they must have been still about until at least then not 1952 for something.
Andy