British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 08-12-16, 01:54 AM

Regarding the original subject of the thread. I have never personally considered this version with the less substantial coronet an outright fake perhaps I should study it further.

On a different matter if Ron is reading this

I know that Ray Westlake (1426) describes this title as WW1

http://mindenmilitaria.com/viewphoto...h=54373&phqu=2

This shoulder title dates from at least 1905 and was worn by all ranks in India on the red and khaki frocks. From what I can see so far its use was confined to India. Poto attached shows Pvt. James Purdon of Liscarrol. Co. Cork with 1st Bn. RMF, India. c. 1906 - 1908. Photo; RMF Assn.

John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.jpg (35.7 KB, 68 views)
Old 08-12-16, 08:06 AM

I do hope Pte Purdon was able to obtain a supply of wax whilst on Foreign Service!
Old 28-07-19, 06:46 PM

Hello John,
Having now had time to consider this badge, I hope, what are your own thoughts, I was immediately concerned with the slider when I first encountered one.
Regards Frank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mulcahy View Post
Regarding the original subject of the thread. I have never personally considered this version with the less substantial coronet an outright fake perhaps I should study it further.

On a different matter if Ron is reading this

I know that Ray Westlake (1426) describes this title as WW1

http://mindenmilitaria.com/viewphoto...h=54373&phqu=2

This shoulder title dates from at least 1905 and was worn by all ranks in India on the red and khaki frocks. From what I can see so far its use was confined to India. Poto attached shows Pvt. James Purdon of Liscarrol. Co. Cork with 1st Bn. RMF, India. c. 1906 - 1908. Photo; RMF Assn.

John
Old 28-07-19, 08:08 PM

I’m of the firm belief 3 genuine 1916 GM dies exist for this regiment: the Lambourne made badge; the attached scroll ends type like post #8 and the ‘convex coronet’ variant in the OP.

Only the first two mentioned are universally accepted by everyone as genuine however I’m certain the convex coronet GM badge is genuine and just a makers variation as they’re very seldom seen.

Julian’s research shows that 10,000 of these were ordered in 1916. As we know often these went to ‘alternative’ manufacturers and new dies were cut in numerous cases e.g Woodward RIF, RMF etc. these manufacturers didn’t produce the badges from those dies in BM. Indeed the attached scroll ends type is never seen in BM either.

This convex coronet variety I’ve never seen in BM which I think if it was a fake not only would there be more of them but also they’d likely be struck in various metals.

In addition to the one I’ve attached there are other examples shown on the forum... https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...7&postcount=30 and the one Wilf has https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...0&postcount=34

Wilf’s looks spot on in every respect. Andy’s obviously has a replacement slider so the patina and original slider is gone in the repair process unfortunately but it still looks nice - plus devils advocate why replace slider on a fake badge?

The photo of Rod’s badge is very dark and I suspect doesn’t do the badge much justice.

In perhaps 10 years of looking I’ve only seen a handful of this type come up for sale. The sliders (admittedly Andy’s one is a replacement) all look the part to me, they all have good age, patina, wear to them to the point that if they were any other WW1 badge I don't think anyone would doubt them for a second.
Old 29-07-19, 08:38 AM

Thanks for this Luke, a minefield made a little easier with your research.

Cheers, Tim
Old 31-07-19, 08:12 AM

Has anyone got an example with a good provenance?
Old 22-10-19, 10:24 AM

This is all fascinating

Leinsters are a regiment I follow and research

I have this curved coronet badge, the scroll ends are not attached like Ubervamps

But scroll slightly tapered.......

Opinions
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4C90D0C7-E6F7-4464-9696-2CF81D900263.jpg (59.4 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg F40145DE-B39D-4F7B-9D9A-A4BE4CBF77F3.jpg (59.8 KB, 21 views)