British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Australian Military Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 14-11-11, 10:15 PM

Brent ,

i totally agree with you on one point,we are both trying to find the truth of the origins of this hat,so that the current owner can 100% know what it is.

I am not following blindly the ascertations of my source that the hat is ALH.But i can see his point of view given a few facts i have found independantly.Some ALH troopers wore a plain pugree on their hat.This type of hat was worn by Australians.Now its not exactly black and white,its fairly grey to be fair, as the British slouch hat was also worn by NZMR..Early days in my research but i still haven't found a conclusive photo of a NZMR trooper wearing a plain pugaree.

Now i am currently getting in contact with the gentlemen with the Australian and NZ slouch hats on NZmilitaria forum to get their point of view and hopefully a few pictures of examples of their hats,which might give me a greater insight into this research.Unfortunately most of the photo's on that sight are deleted.

Photo's ALH trooper wearing a plain pugarree,

And dome of a Provenanced Australian slouch hat vs this example

regards iain
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ALH 6.jpg (49.7 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg ALFREDCOOKNO29OFTHE5THAUSTRALIANLIGHTHORSE_crop.jpg (12.6 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg b965874b90290d24047f439.jpg (71.8 KB, 10 views)
Old 15-11-11, 08:00 PM

Well i heard back from Rod and here is what he has to say

'....suffice to say it is a English made WW1 hat.The pugaree is correct for it.You will find the felt different thicker than the Australian made hats /pugarees.These were issued to or bought by Australians during WW1.I am not aware of the ALH wearing them but i can't se why not.I have an example worn a an Australian gunner.I have seen othere examples too.All of them attributed to the European theatre''

I don't know Mike 39 ,but being a Christchurch lad i think Barry O'Sullivan has more than likely had something to do with him.Barry has seen this hat also.

photo- good to see nothings changed as far as the rugby goes.

NZMR men with their correct mounted rifles pugarees flanked by three ALH men .The one in the middle has a plain pugaree and the others have folded pugarees.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Felt hats 001_crop_crop.jpg (54.4 KB, 11 views)
Old 18-11-11, 07:52 AM

Recommended reading ''ANZAC ,an illustrated history 1914- 1918 '',edited by Richard Pelvin published in 2004,and 2008.While the book has totally forgotten the NZ in the ANZAC it still has many photographic gems .

From the pictures there,the ALH later in WW1 seem to have mostly have dispenced of the plume,i guess it wasn't that practical while in the heat of battle.

A book on similar lines of the NZ perspective ''Images of War,A photographic record of New Zealanders at War 1914-1918'', Glynn Harper 2008