British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 31-10-16, 04:46 PM

Default Cairo Made S.A.S.?

I picked this up at the MAX show a couple of weeks ago, and frankly bought it as a reproduction. I do not think the dealer knew what it was, and was just trying to move it. Now that I have really examined it against the published originals and some that I have, I find that it compares quite well. Could I have found a real gem, or is it a damned good fake? Your thoughts please.
Jim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image11 SAS.jpg (55.8 KB, 256 views)
File Type: jpg image12 SAS back crop.jpg (39.8 KB, 174 views)
Old 31-10-16, 05:23 PM

Hi Jim, it looks like a good one to me, where is the MAX show by the way?

Jack
Old 01-11-16, 01:07 PM

Jack;
Thanks for pitching in. The MAX (Military Antiques Xtravaganza) is a 1000+ table show held once a year in Pittsburgh.
Jim
Old 04-11-16, 06:11 AM

Hi Jim,

Looks like you have found a real gem indeed. It looks good. Does it also feel like a 70 year + badge if you have it in the flesh?

I have seen extremely good copies but which looked/ feeled brand new, totally pristine which made them suspect.

On the looks it ticks all the boxes though.

Cheers,
JB

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCannon View Post
I picked this up at the MAX show a couple of weeks ago, and frankly bought it as a reproduction. I do not think the dealer knew what it was, and was just trying to move it. Now that I have really examined it against the published originals and some that I have, I find that it compares quite well. Could I have found a real gem, or is it a damned good fake? Your thoughts please.
Jim
Old 05-11-16, 11:20 AM

The badge looks real to me too.

Image attached of Len Whittaker's original for comparison...

Keith
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3911.jpg (54.7 KB, 87 views)
Old 05-11-16, 02:31 PM

JB;
Thanks for the reply. It is in pristine condition, and that did put me off a bit originally. The original owner may have mailed it home on issue as a keepsake or picked up an extra for a souvenir. In hand it does have that feel of quality that hand embroidery from that time is known for. I particularly like the paper backing.
Jim
Old 05-11-16, 02:36 PM

Popskipa;
Thanks for joining in. I am feeling much more confident that I have a winner here.
Jim
Old 06-11-16, 06:37 PM

Looks like a good one, Jim, well done. One of the Forum members has a worn example in his album that is identical to yours in materials and construction. It's his badge, so I defer to him on posting the photo. I've been lucky enough to go to the MAX Show, found some of my best WW2 insignia there. It's an incredible sight when you walk into the show area, more tables of militaria than you can see in one day.

Best wishes,
Donovan
Old 08-11-16, 02:13 AM

Donovan;
Thanks for joining in. I'm very fortunate that the show is only 10 minutes form my house; it would be bad form if I didn't show up! Although it is mostly German stuff, sometimes we American and British collectors get lucky. Regards.
Jim
Old 12-11-16, 01:09 AM

Congratulations Jim!!! What a fantastic find.

I'm going to the Show of Shows next spring looking for British and Commonwealth items, so hopefully I have similar luck.
Old 15-11-16, 09:17 PM

Buff;
SOS is supposedly the best show going. I have not been there, but hope to eventually. Book your hotel room early, I hear!
Jim
Old 17-11-16, 02:37 AM

The SoS is the best militaria show in the US in my opinion. I've been 7 or 8 times, but not the last few years, so I am looking forward to getting back there again.