British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 14-10-16, 12:13 PM

If, as I have always understood, the collar badge was authorised to be worn in the cap during the Great War, apparently for convenience in place of the overly large cap badge, then it is a possibility that an all-brass economy version of it was made as well.
Old 14-10-16, 12:39 PM
Super Moderator

I think KLR's next article cover all brass economy badges.

But in my opinion it is not an economy badge. If it was sealed as a cap then it would be slidered. Likewise the economy measure for collars was 'wear no collars' and all brass ones were not authorised to my knowledge.
Old 14-10-16, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
I think KLR's next article cover all brass economy badges.

But in my opinion it is not an economy badge. If it was sealed as a cap then it would be slidered. Likewise the economy measure for collars was 'wear no collars' and all brass ones were not authorised to my knowledge.
Alan, I know there were no economy collars, but in this case, if worn as a cap badge then it may have been treated as a cap badge. It would certainly have been a more economic badge to manufacture than the normal cap badge. I speak as a member of the "Never Say Never" brigade.
Old 14-10-16, 01:14 PM
Super Moderator

There were surprisingly few 'economy' cavalry badges and I suspect that KLR's research may reveal that the yeomanry were even less.

Come on Julian we are waiting in anticipation!
Old 14-10-16, 04:56 PM

Hello Paul,
Sorry for late reply, no, not at all, I think the badge is spurious based upon the way it is made and the metals it is made from, it does not look like any original collar badge I have seen of this particular regiment.
Going back to your original post, I assume you have this solely because of the regiments brief role as part the Air Landing Brigade and the continued Airborne role of some of it's members in Holland?
Regards Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul w View Post
Cheers for that Frank, sorry if I'm being thick but are you saying the badge I've shown is iffy because the rowel on a collar should be on the left? cheers,

Paul

Last edited by Frank Kelley; 14-10-16 at 05:17 PM.
Old 15-10-16, 11:22 AM

Thanks for that Frank, yes, I got the badge to display with a Rough Riders shoulder title I have in my Airborne collection. I've returned it and will look out for another, all the best,

Paul