British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 06-04-22, 12:50 PM

Default Cambs ORs badge with loops.

The postperson has just brought me a badge that I thought just had to be well worth the £3.99 that the seller was asking for it. It did originally have a slider, of course, but was this a period conversion, I ask myself, what do you think?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SDC12659.jpg (79.0 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg SDC12660.jpg (88.6 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg SDC12661.jpg (70.4 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg SDC12662.jpg (67.2 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg SDC12663.jpg (71.1 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg SDC12664.jpg (74.9 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg SDC12665.jpg (57.9 KB, 31 views)

Last edited by thursdaychris; 06-04-22 at 01:03 PM.
Old 06-04-22, 06:23 PM

Default Cambs ORs badge with loops.

Chris,
The slider was fixed on originally, but probably broke, maybe during manufacture, I would say the loops have been added but not that recently.

A bargain for that price.

Rob
Old 06-04-22, 06:43 PM

I think converted at point of manufacture for whatever reason.

Appears to me the slider was more likely removed rather than a break. Notwithstanding if the slider broke that cleanly during manufacture you can see it would be easy to attach another and go again.

The colour of the gold braze around both loops appears broadly the same as the central scar, they all seem to show a very similar patina suggesting it was the same process done around the same time. Those loops are not a home DIY job IMO.
Old 07-04-22, 11:31 AM

Yes, many thanks, chaps, I did think the braze on the loops looked very similar to that where the slider had been. We could possibly have an original Cambridgeshire ORs badge on loops, here, and this surely cannot be the only one, the search must go on!
Old 07-04-22, 01:25 PM

Smile Cambridgeshire with loops

I have dug out my Cambridgeshire cap badge with loops, as can be seen by the pics this one had a slider fixed at one point and was replaced by two loops.

The badge has no braze holes and I would say was a later production than badges with braze holes or slots.

I think Luke is correct in saying the slider was removed at the point of manufacture, but why?

Loops hold a badge in place on the cap or beret much better than sliders, could it be that this badge was converted for wear on the beret post WWII.

Just a thought . . !

Rob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1040021.jpg (69.2 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg P1040022.jpg (79.2 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg P1040023.jpg (67.4 KB, 10 views)
Old 07-04-22, 03:18 PM

Aha! I just knew that I couldn't possibly have the only one that there is !!!

Last edited by thursdaychris; 07-04-22 at 03:46 PM.
Old 08-04-22, 08:20 AM

Right guy's
Its time to correct a misconception, The badge was never fitted with a slider!
In the manufacturing process a badge was pre brazed prior to receiving a fitting, A very good example of this is the Highland regiment with its pre brazing point's at the terminals of the saltire, I suspect the factory that had the tender for the Highland regiment also had it for the Lowland Regt.
Now specification's for the badge's as we all know was, 2 lug's for the highland Regt and 4 lugs for the lowland Regt. Now, Lets assume a mistake was made during production, whereas the highland regiment was pre brazed for 4 lug's instead of 2 but was corrected before lugs could be attached, A simple error if the assumption was the bigger the badge the more lug's! Anyway I digress! The
point I'm putting across Is, If you have a badge like the one in the 1st post it has not had its slider removed as it was never fitted with one!
Another example, The 1924 tank regiment, Pre brazed for lug's but fitted with a slider! Regards Ricardo
Old 08-04-22, 08:57 AM

As has been well covered in past threads, albeit the Cambridgeshire Regiment's badges not having been mentioned.
Old 08-04-22, 09:13 AM

Default Pre-brazed badges

This is something that I had not thought about, pre-brazing in production.

However, the majority of other ranks badges that I have had all have sliders fitted, this badge in the first post and mine have loops, were they given loops instead of sliders for wear on the beret in the 1950's.

Rob
Old 08-04-22, 11:49 AM

Ah! everything is becoming much clearer, I must admit that I was rather dubious about this Cambs badge with loops to begin with, hence, where it's been posted. However, as I am, yet again, refilled with enthusiasm, I will be needing another one of these to make up one more pair.

Once more, the Land of the Free beckons, and there just happens to be another one of these in Hempstead, NY. Funnily enough, I already have a Cambs ORs collar badge on it's way from Wilmington, DE. How did these things get over there, I wonder, they were not very far apart from each other, they're just 3000 miles away from me!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SDC12628.jpg (117.4 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg SDC12627.jpg (115.4 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by thursdaychris; 08-04-22 at 06:26 PM.
Old 08-04-22, 06:41 PM

Default Tyranny of distance

Chris, I once exchanged a Victorian Suffolk cap badge for a City of Norwich (VTC) cap badge from a guy in Australia, how it got there who knows, badges move a bit . . !

Rob
Old 08-04-22, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonofacqms View Post
I have dug out my Cambridgeshire cap badge with loops, as can be seen by the pics this one had a slider fixed at one point and was replaced by two loops.

The badge has no braze holes and I would say was a later production than badges with braze holes or slots.

I think Luke is correct in saying the slider was removed at the point of manufacture, but why?

Loops hold a badge in place on the cap or beret much better than sliders, could it be that this badge was converted for wear on the beret post WWII.

Just a thought . . !

Rob
Rob
I have from the National Archives copies of letters, from the Grenadier Guards to a badge manufacturer asking for loops specifically for the purpose you mention.
Andy
Old 08-04-22, 08:03 PM

Default Cambridgeshire with loops

Quote:
Originally Posted by grenadierguardsman View Post
Rob
I have from the National Archives copies of letters, from the Grenadier Guards to a badge manufacturer asking for loops specifically for the purpose you mention.
Andy
Andy, thanks for the information, I have always thought that loops were the better method of fixing O/R's cap badges.

Rob
Old 08-04-22, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonofacqms View Post
Andy, thanks for the information, I have always thought that loops were the better method of fixing O/R's cap badges.

Rob
Yes, same here.
Andy