British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Navy and Royal Marines

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 27-11-16, 06:20 AM

Default RNMBR badge?

Hi All
I had no idea what this was but I recently saw a similar badge to this on a dealer site, but with a 'C' at the top and listed as a Royal Navy Motor Boat Reserve - Chief Motor Mechanic's badge. Can anybody confirm if this is indeed an RNMBR badge?
Thanks. Cheers,
Alex
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RNMBR MM badge.jpg (84.8 KB, 39 views)
Old 27-11-16, 08:17 AM

Default RNMBR badge

Alex,
This is A Motor Mechanic's badge of the RNMBR (equivalent to a Leading Hand), worn between 1917 and 1919; it was worn as a pair on the collar in red on blue, they were also issued in blue on white for wear on the left cuff in whites.
The Chief Motor Mechanic (equivalent to a CPO) wore a similar 'CMM' badge, as you mention, these were issued in gold on blue and red on blue for wear in pairs on the collar, and blue on white for wear on the left cuff in whites.
There was also a badge issued with the letters 'MBR' in a similar fashion to the 'CMM' badge with the 'B' at the top, these were issued to all rates and worn in a similar fashion to those above.
George
Old 27-11-16, 12:03 PM

Hi George
Many thanks for the detailed reply, that's great news! Not bad for about a fiver!
Cheers,
Alex
Old 27-11-16, 12:14 PM

An example of the badge worn.

Jon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RNMBR 1.jpg (34.7 KB, 68 views)
Old 27-11-16, 02:21 PM

Another - CMM- Chief Motor Mechanic, showing also cap badge:

Bryan
Old 27-11-16, 02:28 PM

Another -- MBR - Motor Boat Reserve.

Love his mustache! A 'no way' in the regular RN!

Bryan
Old 27-11-16, 05:45 PM

Amazing photos, thanks very much for showing them!
Cheers,
Alex
Old 27-11-16, 05:47 PM

I still need one of those cap badges as well, that would be a real coup. I already have what must be an incredibly rare badge, which is the RNMBR officer's cap badge!
Cheers,
Alex
Old 29-11-16, 07:35 AM

Default RNMBR badge?

Great pictures!

A slight diversion from the main topic, but during the First World War personnel recruited for 'Hostilities Only' were allowed to retain their moustache if they already had one. However, they were not allowed to grow one whilst serving full-time.

A very different situation from the Second World War when the no moustache/full-set only rules were strictly applied!

Pete

Last edited by Guzzman; 29-11-16 at 07:36 AM. Reason: spelling mistake
Old 17-12-16, 03:04 PM

Default TerrK

Any other information on RNMBR,my father served in the Reserve in WWI and I am looking for any detail. The infoamation on badges was excellent.
Old 18-12-16, 01:04 PM

Default RNMBR badge?

I can provide some background info on the RNMBR which might be of interest.

In about 1910 there began in the civilian yachting press a debate concerning the desire of many enthusiastic yachtsmen to form some sort of volunteer organisation by which they could offer up the services of their craft and, of course, themselves in the event of hostilities. It was recognised that this sort of service would likely be in the form of local coastal patrol support for the regular navy but it was strongly felt that this Motor Boat Reserve would fill a pressing need due to the lack of such patrol capabilities within the Royal Navy at the time.

Eventually, the Admiralty formed a Motor Boat Committee under Admiral Sir Frederick S. Inglefield who, in 1912, reported to the Admiralty that the use of yachtsmen and their motor craft would, indeed, be desirable. In early 1914 the Admiralty created a Motor Boat Reserve under the auspices of the Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve (RNVR) - working with various members of yacht clubs having experienced motor-yachtsmen. A training programme was proposed, as was an organisational system. However, very little had been achieved before the outbreak of war in August 1914.

With the commencement of hostilities everything changed. Small power boats were chartered and their owners given commissions as temporary officers in the RNVR. These officers enrolled their own crews, who were supplied with a Service Certificate. The Royal Naval Motor Boat Reserve (RNMBR), as the new force was designated, was affiliated to the RNVR for reasons connected with statutory powers, but was administered separately. Its duties were "for services during the War, for patrol and despatch work, etc., or such duties as the Admiralty may from time to time direct." Officers and men came under the Naval Discipline Act.

Organised into sections around the coast, the RNMBR craft served as 'trot boats' for the Fleet and for inshore and river patrol. Several of these craft crossed the Channel and assisted the Army where fighting was near canals or rivers. In September 1914 the Yacht Patrol was organised to patrol British coastal waters. The larger private yachts available were taken over by the Admiralty, and these, with trawlers and drifters and some of the sturdier and larger craft of the RNMBR were formed into flotillas under either Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) or recalled senior RN officers. Some of the officers and many of the men on board these yachts were members of the RNMBR. Later other converted yachts were taken through the French canals to the Mediterranean.

The boats of the RNMBR did other useful and daring work, but the first winter of the War soon proved that few of the craft were fit for work in the bad-weather months, and, also, new employment was awaiting its personnel. Their yachts and motor boats were not very satisfactory as warships, nor were there enough of them. They were usually narrow-gutted, graceful enough vessels, but they had not been designed or built for continuous patrolling in British coastal waters. They were slow and unhandy, and when their guns were fired parts of them were liable to drop off, and windows were broken. Steam-trawlers and drifters were needed for minesweeping and working the new anti-submarine nets and to maintain some kind of fishing fleet. The need was for small, fast vessels.

A new class of Motor Launches (ML's) was introduced. They were manned by the RNVR. A few of the pre-war volunteers were still available, but in the main the crews of this new little-ship navy were temporary officers and duration ratings. Many came from the RNMBR, and while the supply lasted experienced yachtsmen were commissioned. As the little-ship fleet increased amateur sailors from the Dominions were invited to take commissions , and men with no sea experience were accepted. Eventually, as the work of the RNMBR became indispensable, the title was dropped and the men and boats became fully incorporated into the Auxiliary Patrol of the RNVR.

Pete
Old 21-12-16, 08:58 PM

Apologies for delayed response to thread.. Thanks Bryan for wonderful images and to Pete for filling in the informative detail. Much appreciated

Any ship can be a minesweeper.....once (Admiral Hornblower)

If we were on a sinking ship and there was only one life vest.......I would miss you so much.

Instruction painted on US rocket launcher "AIM toward the enemy".........

Last edited by redadmiral; 21-12-16 at 08:59 PM. Reason: must learn to spell innformative!!!
Old 27-03-22, 05:07 PM

Default RNMBR metal badge

I know that this is still a very controversial subject and I agree that all badges I have seen to date appear to be "fantasy badges" but the one I have is different since it has loops instead of blades and looks genuine. I would like to know if anyone has found a similar one with loops. My badge was acquired in 1988 for nothing more than the loan of a book.

I know that years ago I had seen RNMBR cloth badges in a stock book (Royal William Yard Devonport) that never went into production, or at least I have never seen them with any dealer, an anchor with MBR being one example. B above the stock with M - R to the left and right of the stock.

I have other badges in my collection (not RNMBR) which are not listed but are shown being worn in a photograph. Maybe !!!!! a photograph will turn up.

As an aside an elderly RNMBR person I contacted, about 1988, could not remember the badge.

Listed also under another heading

My badge attached.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Slide1.jpg (77.3 KB, 33 views)
Old 31-03-22, 08:04 AM

Posted in the wrong thread and removed to the photograph section.

Last edited by High Wood; 31-03-22 at 08:16 AM.