British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 24-05-22, 08:48 PM

Default Mystery WW1 pictures

Gentlemen, I would like to show you some pictures from WWI showing my grandfather (marked X). He served with the Belgium 3rd Coy, 3rd Batt, 8th line regiment and was taken POW on 24 August 1914 at Bioul, sent to camp Soltau in Germany until 15 January 1917 when he was interred in Switzerland and finally demobbed 12 April 1918.

In picture 1 there are clearly two British soldiers, Royal Artillery and Rifle Brigade(?). The odd thing is that my grandfather appears to be wearing the pattern 1915 uniform.

Picture 7 again shows a British gunner, a kilted Scotsman and a French (?) officer lying on the ground at the right. All Belgium soldier appear to be wearing the 1915 pattern uniform.

I would appreciate your thoughts on how the pictures would match his army career.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (51.6 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg 007.jpg (67.2 KB, 79 views)
Old 24-05-22, 08:50 PM

Two more pictures showing British and Belgium soldiers, some men are also shown on the previous pictures.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 005.jpg (62.6 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg 006.jpg (64.6 KB, 51 views)
Old 24-05-22, 08:58 PM

The badge on the cap of the soldier on the right (as viewed) in picture 1 looks more like the Royal Warwickshire Regiment, than RA.

Marc
Old 24-05-22, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54Bty View Post
The badge on the cap of the soldier on the right (as viewed) in picture 1 looks more like the Royal Warwickshire Regiment, than RA.

Marc
I fully agree. The other soldier is likely from the Rifle Brigade ( or an affiliated London Bn. ) and has blackened buttons as well. I think the Highlander is from the Black Watch.
CB
Old 25-05-22, 06:34 AM

A while ago I was given a POW photo album from WWI. I think it likely that these photos were all POWs and the reason for the mix of uniforms and scenery. The POW camps in WWI had quite a mix and there were often shows and plays done by the inmates. It could be that he was also involved in something like that, hence the ladies present, possibly assisting in some way. The mountain backdrops could have been made as scenery for a play too? The 1915 uniforms could have been supplied to replace clothing which was falling apart.
Cheers,
Alex
Old 25-05-22, 12:35 PM

Quote:

Marc
Got to agree with you Marc,Royal Warwicks cap badge .
Old 26-05-22, 02:20 PM

I agree with the above posts, Luc. There are lots of examples of these prisoners of war photographs at Soltau and other camps posted at the greatwarforum.org.
Old 26-05-22, 09:12 PM

Quote:
looks more like the Royal Warwickshire Regiment
You're quite right Marc, my mistake.
So these are likely taken as a POW at Soltau. I never would have guessed, thank you gentlement for this information.