British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 21-04-22, 12:52 PM

Default Cambridgeshire ORs with SA scroll.

It's turning out to be a fairly good week for the Cambs collection, this badge arrived this morning. It is probably not the best example of this particular badge that you'll ever see, although I'm sure that the close up pics do make it look worse than it actually is.

I have a Cambs OSD cap badge with a Firmin tablet on it's way from distant parts, if that happens to arrive tomorrow, this will have been an exceedingly excellent week. However, it would mean that I'll be spending part of the weekend, reframing all the badges. Fortunately, I have more A1 foamboard than I'm ever going to need, so, no problem there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SDC12707.jpg (92.0 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg SDC12708.jpg (90.4 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg SDC12709.jpg (93.3 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg SDC12710.jpg (93.0 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg SDC12711.jpg (92.7 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg SDC12712.jpg (82.7 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg SDC12713.jpg (90.7 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg SDC12714.jpg (87.8 KB, 26 views)
Old 21-04-22, 01:09 PM

Sorry to say but that is not a pretty badge. From the front it looks almost relic condition like it’s been ground dug or sat in something corrosive.

It depends how desperate you are for an example but for the price I’d be sending it back. Whilst the rarer the badge condition issues generally affect it less there are limits.
Old 21-04-22, 02:58 PM

I agree with Luke, if that were in my collection I’d always be looking to replace it.
Old 21-04-22, 03:05 PM

Yes, I intend to replace it at the earliest opportunity, if one of you fine fellows will sell me your example of this badge, or point me in the direction of another one that's available, somewhere, I would be most obliged.
Old 21-04-22, 03:29 PM

Default Cambs with S.A.Hons

This old veteran could as Luke says been ground dug, a bit knocked about but could be of Great War vintage as I am sure some of the former 3rd VB Suffolks hung on to their badges when sent to the Western Front.

A scarce item nonetheless.

Rob
Old 21-04-22, 06:33 PM

Looks cast ?
Andy
Old 21-04-22, 09:40 PM

I wonder if there was a general disposal by burying these badges, years ago I once bought two of them in a lot on ebay, no fittings and pitted to hell and beyond reviving so binned them.
Old 22-04-22, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grenadierguardsman View Post
Looks cast ?
Andy
Grubby, but not cast...if you look closely you can see the vent holes at the back of the scrolls, which look proper to me.
Cheers, Alex
Old 22-04-22, 07:50 AM

Sadly, I must confess that I have had a change of heart with this badge, although I do dearly want one of these ( ideally, two of 'em ) I think that Luke is absolutely right, yet again, and this example is indeed, a bit beyond the pale! I am sending it back to the seller, hopefully, another one will come along, I'll just need to continue the search a little longer

I have discovered that peter616, the supplier of the previous badge, also has a Firmin, London, Cambs ORs, cap badge with braze slots, the likes of which I have sought for quite some time. This badge should be on it's way back to East Anglia, by now, I'll have to hope that it's a much better specimen, this time, it certainly is a lot cheaper.

Last edited by thursdaychris; 23-04-22 at 07:14 PM.
Old 23-04-22, 04:22 PM

Depending on price, I would be happy to have almost any example of the scrolled badge, if all that's available is a worn scarce badge then that's certainly better than not having an example.
Anyone have a recent price of an example of this badge in good condition?
Not much on the dealer you mention on the forum in recent years. Regards, Paul.
Old 23-04-22, 07:01 PM

Yes, Paul, I too, was thinking that any was better than none, but this particular scrolled badge was a three figure sum. ( just ) The cost is not the most important consideration to me, but, sadly, the condition of this badge did leave a little bit too much to be desired.

I think it would be fair to say that the seller did seem to be a man of few words. However, I emailed him yesterday and informed him that I intended to return the badge, he did acknowledge this message, very briefly. The item was delivered back to him this morning, and I had a full refund in my Paypal account this afternoon. So, peter616 definitely gets the thumbs up from me!
Old 23-04-22, 07:20 PM

I believe either Geoff or David sold one via their site within the last year for £120-50 that was in very fine condition.

Given the badge in question was priced at £100 I do feel Chris has made the right decision.

Peter616 is Peter Taylor if you search his name on this forum you will see some of his past antics cumulating in a ban.
Old 24-04-22, 05:13 AM

Default Cambs

I’d be interested to see the badge when you get it please. I have seen one several years ago but never owned one.
Old 24-04-22, 08:16 AM

You may have a rather long wait if you mean the ORs badge with SA scroll, but I'll keep looking, faint heart never won fair lady, as they say !!!
Old 24-04-22, 09:19 AM

Default Cambridgeshire Rgt. with S.A. Scroll Officer’s

Here are two Officer’s badges, one in un-hallmarked Silver the other Bronze with Blades to rear, also included is a Band badge in White metal, I don’t have the other ranks badge, as yet anyway!

Hope you enjoy, billy