British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 14-11-20, 02:16 PM

Default How do I tell ???

Hi All,
This fake or not fake dilemma is making my head hurt, whilst viewing all of the badge offerings that are to be found on eBay. The Loyal Suffolk Hussars had a badge that I may want to add to my collection one day. I have selected two examples that I've found today, the first one looks like a fake, the second one looks fine ( to me ! ) am I getting the hang of this, or are they both duds ?

Last edited by thursdaychris; 25-11-20 at 04:06 PM.
Old 14-11-20, 06:08 PM

Default LSH

Dare I say that both look good to me.

Rob
Old 14-11-20, 07:50 PM

Neither.

The one on the left with the oval braze holes and asymmetrical arch and wonky buttresses is I believe the MM fake. The right hand badge is in my opinion a restrike from the Gaunt die with a fake Gaunt plaque - too large and regular etc. the badge itself looks stained and artificially aged up.
Old 15-11-20, 06:30 AM

Wow, they would both have fooled me!
Old 15-11-20, 09:01 AM

Question

As with all things, opinions differ, it might well be best for me to stick with the Suffolk Regiment for the time being. I have been offered a few badges by a forum member, getting those will probably be the first sensible move that I've made so far.

The seller of the first Suffolk badge that I posted on this forum was not at all pleased that I wished to return it. However, I promptly ordered a replacement for it, elsewhere, did I get it right this time ?

Last edited by thursdaychris; 25-11-20 at 04:05 PM.
Old 15-11-20, 10:38 AM

The Martin Marsh fake Loyal Suffolk Hussars is no. 1408 in his catalogue. Whilst his image is not great and has in my belief been retouched to an extent causing some anomalies you can make out several distinctive features:

1) Top of the gate arch, steeper left side and flatter right.
2) Uneven buttresses in arch, longer on left pointing slightly up, shorter right pointing more horizontally.
3) Earth mound left of the castle noticeably higher than right.
4) Thick scroll borders, esp. bottom edges.
5) Gammy shaped top heavy ‘S’ in Suffolk.

What’s more examples from the same die as the first badge shown are always readily available on eBay, often there are 5 or 6 listed at any given time and they’re regularly encountered with modern looking sliders. Lastly if this is not the MM badge then I’ve never seen a badge from his die, which given how prolific he was seems unlikely they’d not be out there in droves... which the above badge of course is.

I’ve attached a picture of another badge from the same die which is at a better angle for showing the asymmetrical earth mounds, arch and buttresses. The thick bottom edge of the scroll and gammy ‘S’ is easier to see on the badge in post #1.

Re the Gaunt example there are a great many restrikes with the rectangle braze holes and these are regularly encountered with the 1970s repro Gaunt B’ham marked sliders. Their most distinctive feature is the 3 and how it’s centre point joins to the bottom end giving it a very peculiar look.

As to the Gaunt plaque there are several good threads on this topic with many examples of fake v’s genuine ones. If you search these and examine those shown I think you will conclude this one has all the attributes of a fake.
Old 15-11-20, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thursdaychris View Post
As with all things, opinions differ, it might well be best for me to stick with the Suffolk Regiment for the time being. I have been offered a few badges by a forum member, getting those will probably be the first sensible move that I've made so far.

The seller of the first Suffolk badge that I posted on this forum was not at all pleased that I wished to return it. However, I promptly ordered a replacement for it, elsewhere, did I get it right this time ?
Bit of an ugly duckling, rough looking and double struck on the reverse but genuine. Up to you if you want to wait for a better example, they’re very common and not dear.

As a rule of thumb with Suffolk’s stay away from badges which are solid between the oak leaves and crown or solid between the castle turrets and those with a unvoided centres (ableit there is one genuine solid centre sort).
Old 15-11-20, 11:32 AM

Not a badge I would have bought, given how common and cheap they are, but, that said, okay if you are happy with it.

Quote:

Old 15-11-20, 01:05 PM

Quote:

If you show us the badge you want to buy first it may save you some returning problems.

regards

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 15-11-20, 02:40 PM

Yes, Simon, that is an excellent idea, with my second choice not really getting the seal of approval, a cloud of despondency now hovers over me !!! Anyhow, one of the things another forum member has offered me, is a single Suffolk collar dog, and I have spotted what I think, is another one, on the Isle of Lewis, of all places. I'm hoping that I'll now end up with a matching pair of these, there's no L and R with these, or is there ?

Last edited by thursdaychris; 25-11-20 at 04:06 PM.
Old 15-11-20, 03:12 PM

There are several variations, but NO left or right ones so you are OK with those.

regards

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 15-11-20, 04:28 PM

Thursday Chris, First off, you are not the first and will not be the last to buy a dodgey badge. I suspect all of us on this forum have at one time or another - I definitely have. It is unfortunate and can be a downer, especially if ones funds are limited. My suggestion is buy on eBay only if you are sure of it, other wise, I recommend reputable dealers and forum members as sources, and, live and learn. I read every new post and study all pictures, even if not in my area of collecting, as that helps to build a good understanding of badges. I also recommend looking through the albums where you can see pictures of all sorts of pieces to learn from. Main thing, it's a hobby to enjoy.

Luke, you amaze me with your knowledge of detail. It has taught me a lot!

Terry
Old 15-11-20, 06:58 PM

I think that your second choice is okay, but, not really a great example of a very common badge that can be had for just a few quid, you can buy the 1916 economy with ease for twenty odd pounds, so absolutely no need for any despondency, have a good look around and compare what you see before parting with your money.

Quote:
Yes, Simon, that is an excellent idea, with my second choice not really getting the seal of approval, a cloud of despondency now hovers over me !!! Anyhow, one of the things another forum member has offered me, is a single Suffolk collar dog, and I have spotted what I think, is another one, on the Isle of Lewis, of all places. I'm hoping that I'll now end up with a matching pair of these, there's no L and R with these, or is there ?