British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 02-11-20, 04:27 PM

Default Parachute Beret on Ebay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/363158823187
Hi, this beret is on Ebay at the moment, does anyone have an opinion on whether its a good one or not?
Looking to expand the collection but I wondered if it should have some markings inside from what I've previously seen here, thanks Gary
Old 06-11-20, 02:06 AM

With little surprise, no response to your post before the auction ended. I suspect several forum members had a look at it and even participated (I did but didn't win).
I'm stunned about the winning bid (GBP 455).
Without any trace of markings, it is of course impossible to date. By construction, it could have been issued anywhere between the 40s to the late 50s. The fact that no trace of WD stamp can be found makes me believe it is a private purchase.
Honestly paying that sort of money for a para beret without proof of authenticity doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
Old 06-11-20, 11:09 AM

Hi
Many thanks for taking the time to reply...as its a new foray for me and without the confidence from knowledge, the price put me off. I assume then it was probably ok? But not at that price?
Thanks Gary
Old 06-11-20, 01:14 PM

suffice to say that if there had been WW2 markings in the beret , a perfectly good Kangol example, the price would have been a tad more. faint trace of markings in this one and provenanced.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0359.jpg (64.0 KB, 83 views)
Old 07-11-20, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary1666 View Post
Hi
Many thanks for taking the time to reply...as its a new foray for me and without the confidence from knowledge, the price put me off. I assume then it was probably ok? But not at that price?
Thanks Gary
Gary, it is an original but maybe not a WW2 beret. Steve (ASR142) is one of the expert here. Check his very comprehensive thread https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...ad.php?t=43674

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwash View Post
suffice to say that if there had been WW2 markings in the beret ,a perfectly good Kangol example, the price would have been a tad more.
I don't think it is a Kangol example: the give away is the stitching which crosses over on Kangol (2 photos below right) and not on this one (on the left). A private purchase in my view.
BTW, your beret is also a private purchase example.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Stitching Private Purchase Close Up.jpg (60.3 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg Kangol 1 Stitching.jpg (71.5 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg Kangol 2 Stitching.jpg (81.0 KB, 24 views)
Old 07-11-20, 10:45 AM

Although the markings are faint but still legible in the correct light I can assure you that it is a standard Kangol Wear Limited example. given the number of berets produced and the number of machinists involved I would expect there to be stitching aberrations in their manufacture.

Last edited by silverwash; 08-11-20 at 04:09 PM. Reason: initial reply too brief
Old 08-11-20, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwash View Post
Although the markings are faint but still legible in the correct light I can assure you that it is a standard Kangol Wear Limited example. given the number of berets produced and the number of machinists involved I would expect there to be stitching aberrations in their manufacture.
It could be. It is just from my experience all Kangol berets I have seen have that stitching characteristic and it is also something that Steve mentioned in his post https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...96&postcount=4
From the photo you posted, I was also of the impression that the liner fabric was not typical from the one used by Kangol but I can't really see too many details out of it. Do you see a WD stamp?
Old 09-11-20, 01:40 PM

to put your mind at ease. given its wartime and postwar service it has taken on a war weary look.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0370.jpg (48.0 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0371.jpg (46.9 KB, 31 views)
Old 09-11-20, 06:47 PM

My mistake, your beret is totally fine. I was fooled by the definition of your first photo: the liner's weave appeared a bit weird. Also from your other photos, it looks like the over stitching is on top of the diamond which is quite unusual on berets made by Kangol. (normaly found at the base of the diamond).
Old 09-11-20, 11:28 PM

Gary, if you’re still looking for a WW2 para beret, you should stay away from this one https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/233766646591
The markings are not original to the beret in my opinion.

Last edited by tcrown; 10-11-20 at 01:06 AM.
Old 10-11-20, 12:32 PM

Also has the Famous die flaw on the wing of the cap badge. 👎👎👎
Old 10-11-20, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrown View Post
Gary, if you’re still looking for a WW2 para beret, you should stay away from this one https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/233766646591

That beret is fine (IMO). Typical Supak. The badge on the other hand is a restrike.
Why an original beret ended up with a dodgy badge, who knows. It my have had a different unit badge and they wanted to sex it up with a para badge.
Old 11-11-20, 12:12 AM

Too many red flags on this one I'm afraid, certainly not typical from that maker.
To list a few:
- no white line
- crow foot should be above the size mark
Check this out https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...39&postcount=7
Old 11-11-20, 12:24 AM

To my admittedly untrained eye it looks like the last digit of the date on the eBay beret has been altered from a 9 to a 5?
Old 11-11-20, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrown View Post
This seller has been selling a few mkii helmets with enhanced markings recently, too be avoided imo

Jerry