British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 16-11-20, 02:13 PM

Default Suffolk Regiment.

Hi All,
I've been taking a look at what Britton's Badges have to offer, and I would really appreciate your thoughts on the badges that I've selected from their website, would these be worthy additions to my new Suffolk collection?

Last edited by thursdaychris; 25-11-20 at 04:06 PM.
Old 16-11-20, 02:34 PM

It’s up to you, both the OSDs are pretty hideous examples again. Much better out there.

I recently sold a 1916 GM Suffolk on here for £15 so their price of £25 is top end in my opinion, so again up to you. If you’re willing to be patient and study members good examples on various threads you’ll pick one up below dealers price easily on eBay.

The asking price of £15 for that bog standard BM badge is highway robbery IMO. Don’t pay more than £6-8, they were made from 1902-1950s so there are many thousands of them out there..

I picked up this ‘genuine’ solid badge today, which is scarcer than the normal BM, for just £3 on eBay today. Plenty bargains to be had.

Cultman Collectibles, no connection to seller, are generally best priced dealer for standard infantry and corps badges. They have a very nice BM
example with rectangular braze holes for £8. You probably won’t find better or cheaper from another dealer.

My advice in badge collecting is shop around. Every dealer makes mistakes even the best. Also you find prices vary sometimes significantly. Most importantly ask here before you buy if unsure.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 023BC101-AA38-40D0-AF34-2A580FF88B75.jpg (35.2 KB, 40 views)
Old 16-11-20, 03:26 PM

I can only echo what Luke has said, OSD badges are worth the wait for good examples and some makers really are exceptionally good. In the case of the Suffolk's, J & Co (Jennens) are generally the best as are most of their wares.
Old 16-11-20, 03:29 PM

If you are just starting off, take a look at these I am selling.

All guaranteed 100% original badges, including a Suffolk and at prices as cheap as Luke suggests.

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...ad.php?t=81558

regards

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 16-11-20, 03:36 PM

Wow, that bladed OSD is the crudest example of the type I have ever seen.

CB
Old 16-11-20, 03:38 PM

Default Suffolk Regt

Two of the OSD Suffolk Regt badges have loops which could well be collar badges, the other OSD looks pretty poor and the rest overpriced.

I agree with all the other comments on this thread and I would advise you to be patient, buy from forum members if possible for a good price.

Rob
Old 16-11-20, 04:13 PM

I forgot to mention it in my reply but as Rob points out the OSDs with loops are collar badges.
Old 16-11-20, 06:42 PM

Many thanks, chaps, I did find Britton's Badges amongst the Albums, and I assumed that they had the blessing of forum members. I'm not too familiar with any of the badge dealers, but, Cultman Collectables, certainly, do seem to be very good. I have bought several of the items that I found on their website, including the badge that Luke mentioned. I also bought a few Suffolk badges from another forum member today, so I may have the beginnings of an impressive display to show you in my next post.
Old 16-11-20, 07:13 PM

The first two OSDs look like they could even be bazaar cast badges.