British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Off topic

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 13-08-20, 08:30 AM

I think that the internet has changed everything as people now tend to "publish" on a website rather than in book form. I once spent several years researching the 320 names on the local war memorial with the intention of publishing a booklet. When the centenary of the start of the Great War was about to happen I shared it with the local museum who had very little research of their own. They put the list on line and manage the website and it is available for everyone to view.

I am happy that the dead are properly commemorated and don't give a second thought to all the time and effort that went into the research.

The whole exercise made me realise that I am a researcher and not a writer and that it is often better for someone else to knock my research into shape.

I have recently compiled several other regimental lists and uploaded then on the WW2 Talk Forum. What encourages me to do it, apart from the recording
of long forgotten individuals, is that so many others are willing to share information and research documents from their own research.

Lastly, the internet has made it so much easier to research from home, but has also made it almost impossible to protect your own work.
Old 13-08-20, 02:25 PM

Copyright law protects your work but people still copy it for the reason I stated earlier.
Defamation laws protect a person's reputation and yet there's millions of insults hurled online at and about people every day on social media and in MSM and no-one sues.
With facts that are not known or known by the majority, it's probably better not disclosing them to anyone online or in a publication. Just a thought.
Old 13-08-20, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeochil View Post
Copyright law protects your work but people still copy it for the reason I stated earlier.
Defamation laws protect a person's reputation and yet there's millions of insults hurled online at and about people every day on social media and in MSM and no-one sues.
With facts that are not known or known by the majority, it's probably better not disclosing them to anyone online or in a publication. Just a thought.
Well, in that case we'd better not participate in this forum or any other then!

Dave.