British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 05-08-20, 09:23 AM

Default A Growing Problem

Saw this on eBay a day or so ago and even I had to do a double take. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-W...gAAOSwuYFfKSqG

The badge is undoubtedly a fake with the infamous ‘spanners’ suspension, however, it sadly highlights how deceptive old fakes can become having gained patina especially when a half decent slider is fixed.

Whilst the badge I suspect has also been chemically aged judging from the back it has been done relatively well.

Certainly this is a badge that could very easily catch out a new collector.

With some fakes now at +50 years old this is a growing problem in the hobby, especially for those starting out and IMO highlights the need for a forensic approach identifying the die the badge originated from.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 78E1CA66-F93D-4BFD-94D0-7E204B079B6C.jpg (110.2 KB, 139 views)
File Type: jpg F84A6D21-6316-43EF-B039-BBC6C8630AC2.jpg (96.5 KB, 115 views)
Old 05-08-20, 09:26 AM

Absolutely.
Old 05-08-20, 09:32 AM

I noticed the "escape clause" :

"WW1 TANK CORPS bronze cap badge with slider - believed to be genuine" .

Poppy and British Legion Wanted
Old 05-08-20, 09:37 AM

Question WW1 1st LONDON DIVISIONAL CYCLISTS COMPANY

Luke,
Looking at the other cap badges the seller has to offer most seem to me OK although it is a screen image we have to go on, what's your take on the WW1 1st LONDON DIVISIONAL CYCLISTS COMPANY badge, its described as bronze whereas having a slider it should be G/M, maybe just dirty or over-aged.

Rob
Old 05-08-20, 10:05 AM

Rob,

The London Cyclists is also a repro.

Luke
Old 05-08-20, 11:11 AM

Cool General dealing

Luke. this seller seems to be a general dealer and I guess he has bought a small collection, probably at auction from somebody who dabbled in collecting badges and got fed up with them probably not knowing he had some duds.

Rob
Old 05-08-20, 02:00 PM

I would say this problem is already well grown....many old restrikes and fakes that will catch out all but the most expert; probably even then at times.

CB
Old 05-08-20, 03:54 PM

I would have been fooled by the tank badge due to the back looking so good. I am definitely no expert and have a nice collection of fakes because of it. I have learned so much just from the short time I've been a member of this forum, and thank everyone for their help. I now prefer dealing with members here or known reputable dealers.

One thing that I think helps learning collectors like me is to share why a badge is bad. Sadly, I also realize this also can let fakers know what to fix! I read all the posts even if not in my area of collecting, because there is always something to be learned about badges and patches in general.

Terry
Old 05-08-20, 10:45 PM

Default A Growing Problem

Hello Luke,
Could not agree with you more. If I may let me add fuel to the fire with a WWII Canadian Parachute Corps O.R. badge acquired in 2009. In all fairness the gentleman (George Peterson) producing these at the time very clearly stated that they were a reproduction. The brass is heavy gauge, so the correct heft/weight is there too. One thing I'm not certain of was how rigorous the placement of the lugs was, i.e. quality control. At the time I recall warning people that with the passage of time this badge could become very troublesome. Like you I would entertain comments from forum experts.
ArnhemJim (not exactly a new member)
Arizona Territory
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4023.jpg (120.1 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4025.jpg (118.6 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4026.jpg (112.7 KB, 25 views)

Last edited by Arnhem Jim; 05-08-20 at 11:03 PM. Reason: Correct errors