British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 24-10-22, 09:01 PM

Am no expert but your first badge appears to be an OSD, it looks OK to me albeit not the finest quality example.

Second pairing the GM example is genuine but WM a fake.

Third pairing, the top badge I’d need a better picture, is it die stuck or sandcast from a die struck badge? Any way it stands a chance. The lower badge is fake.

Fourth and fifth pairs are all fakes.

If for sale I’d be interested in the Artists GM badge.
Old 24-10-22, 09:53 PM

Thanks for your help! I am afraid they are not mine...but I Saw them and I was curious...
How about this one!? I have never seen one like this...
Screenshot_2022-10-24-23-49-27-593_com.android.chrome.jpg

Screenshot_2022-10-24-23-50-39-408_com.android.chrome.jpg
Old 24-10-22, 10:14 PM

It’s pretending to be a PBP. To my knowledge there is no photographic or documentary evidence of such a QC PBP in wear. Hence you can debate whether it is entirely fantasy or just fake.

The design was extensively sold in the Marsh Militiaria repro catalogue and continues to be proliferated by the present day fakers.
Old 24-10-22, 10:17 PM

Ok, thanks a lot for the info..always learning!...they are pretty...even the fakes! It is a really nice badge design!
Old 25-10-22, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trubia26 View Post
Ok, thanks a lot for the info..always learning!...they are pretty...even the fakes! It is a really nice badge design!
Really nice?! Must I be the only one with the discernment to relegate this fallacious opinion of a most unfortunate design to it's proper place?
Well, at any rate, the bronze OSD looks rather nice in my opinion. Perhaps the poor photo does it some injustice. Mind you, I am not referring to the design.

CB
Old 25-10-22, 03:02 AM

...thanks for your opinion!
Old 25-10-22, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbuehler View Post
Really nice?! Must I be the only one with the discernment to relegate this fallacious opinion of a most unfortunate design to it's proper place?
Chris,

I never understand your visceral hatred of the design of the Artist's Rifles cap badge, can you please enlighten me as to why it causes you so much grief?

There are certainly some strange designs out there and my personal bug bear is the magic cycle wheel that makes anything placed behind it, especially crossed rifles, invisible. A totally illogical design.

Mars and Minerva on the other hand, as I am sure you know, are figures from classical mythology of the type much loved by the pre-raphaelite set who were floating around in the decades prior to the original Artists Rifles being formed and seem to me to fit in with their artistic ethos, and is very much of the time.

Now, if we were were forming an Artist's Rifles regiment from scratch today, the badge would be very different. It would probably take the form of a dead sheep, covered in large multiple dots of primary colours, floating in a tank of formaldehyde. But luckily, I don't get to design badges for the British Army.

Best wishes,

Simon.
Old 25-10-22, 12:25 PM

Of course I am being a bit facetious, but just happens to be my personal bummer of a badge. I am sure we all have them to some degree!
Cheers,
CB
Old 25-10-22, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Of course I am being a bit facetious, but just happens to be my personal bummer of a badge. I am sure we all have them to some degree!
Cheers,
CB
Indeed, I am just curious to know what it is about this particular badge that causes such distain.
Old 25-10-22, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Cheers,
CB
CB, I feel the same about the 13th Hussars ugly little "Z" pattern badge, the 7th Manchesters hideous floriated fleur-de-lis and, the ugliest of them all, the Berkshire Yeomanry, a ridiculous monstrosity of a badge. I have said it before on the forum and I'll say it again, as an ancient and historical hill carving the White Horse of Uffington may be impressive but as a cap badge design it looks absolutely ridiculous.
Old 25-10-22, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
CB, I feel the same about the 13th Hussars ugly little "Z" pattern badge, the 7th Manchesters hideous floriated fleur-de-lis and, the ugliest of them all, the Berkshire Yeomanry, a ridiculous monstrosity of a badge. I have said it before on the forum and I'll say it again, as an ancient and historical hill carving the White Horse of Uffington may be impressive but as a cap badge design it looks absolutely ridiculous.
With regard to the Berkshire Yeomanry's use of the image of a hill carving as the inspiration for their cap badge, I can only say that it is probably a good thing that the Dorsetshire Yeomanry didn't follow suit and use the Cerne Abbas Giant on their cap badge. Albeit that he is more war like than a skeletal horse.
Old 25-10-22, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Wood View Post
With regard to the Berkshire Yeomanry's use of the image of a hill carving as the inspiration for their cap badge, I can only say that it is probably a good thing that the Dorsetshire Yeomanry didn't follow suit and use the Cerne Abbas Giant on their cap badge. Albeit that he is more war like than a skeletal horse.
. That idea would most definitely have qualified as a cock-up!!!.
Old 25-10-22, 10:21 PM

I guess one of the problems with the Artists is that I find human representation on insignia generally unaesthetic; although I very much like Wee Andy on Scottish badges. The Mars and Minerva (not sure which is which these days)
is just too cheesy for my taste.
But beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and I rather like the Berkshire white horse for it's unique very modern impressionist style. It is not very "military" and neither are many other British badges, which is, or was, their saving grace in my opinion.
The horror of current badge designs is luckily out of my collecting sphere.

CB
Old 26-10-22, 03:54 AM

I still think that artist badge is a really classic and beautiful design...but I must say too that it is more nice on the hand that on the cap...It is a classic design that looks great on a frame...but a little excesive on a cap. Thats my opinión.
To me British badges are the more desirable and lovely badges of all armies...specially the "animal" badges (except the berkshire yeomanry that thanks to you I just learn the origin of the design...in fact I always thought It was some kind of "Picasso" horse).
I started with British badges three years ago and I am totally in love with them...some are more nice....others more bored...but all of them full of history and Artist design!