British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Air Force (RCAF and CAF)

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 16-08-21, 04:36 PM

Default CAF tunic and insignia, circa 1920

I recently picked up this early Canadian Air Force (CAF) Norfolk-style tunic issued to a Flying Officer. It is completely correct for the period and appears untouched since its original issue. I temporarily removed the insignia to take photos. I believe I can ID the owner from the tag but I'm still doing research to confirm that and to discover the date of recruitment and discharge. It appears the insignia date to 1920, the year of largest recruitment in the CAF I believe. At its peak in 1921, the CAF enthusiastically had perhaps 1,200 Officers on the books; this number rapidly declined to 45 by mid 1923.

The wing is as complete as it gets with the felt backing and brass support bar. Note the die break on the bottom right wing which is often seen in this specific die variant. The wing doesn't have the Makers back-stamp from Caron Bros. The collars are the earlier, 1st issue of the design without the motto.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CAF tunic 1, circa 1920.jpg (116.2 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg CAF tunic 2.jpg (59.2 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg Pilot`s wing.jpg (63.0 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg CAF wing back, all components.jpg (92.5 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg collars, tunic, without motto, 1st issue circa 1920.jpg (91.6 KB, 67 views)
Old 17-08-21, 10:50 PM

A lovely, and scarce tunic, and with a lovely set of insignia.

Nitpicking a little, but for reference, its not a Norfolk jacket. The 'Norfolk' style jacket was originally based on an English hunting jacket, and what makes it a 'Norfolk' is the twin bands of cloth running down the front from each shoulder to the hem of the skirt. Be it civil or military, the bands sometime conceal pockets. An example is the Princess Mary's Royal Air Force Nursing Service officers tunic, now no longer worn.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg a4a05b98-95c1-40fe-bf7e-aa72000a286c.jpg (41.3 KB, 56 views)
Old 18-08-21, 04:43 PM

A rare desirable set .
Regards steve
Old 18-08-21, 09:41 PM

I appreciate the correction and explanation of "Norfolk" Padre. To be honest, clothing is something I know precious little about; I just referenced the style from another book discussing the CAF tunics. It's an interesting dark colour and seems to change in natural or artificial light between black-blue and blue-black.

Thanks Steve, I was delighted to have the opportunity to snag this.
Old 19-08-21, 12:19 PM

Its certainly a beautiful set, lovely to have it all complete on the tunic.
Old 19-08-21, 09:17 PM

Fantastic tunic and insignia, thank you for sharing it with us.
Old 06-02-22, 04:37 PM

Wow...I've been looking for one of these for 30 years, as long as some have been searching for the Loch Ness monster, only I think sightings of this tunic might be rarer! Congratulations.

Tags
caf, canadian air force, insignia, pilots wing, tunic