British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 16-01-13, 04:07 AM

Smile Fattorini Hallmarked PWO Plumes badge

Hi all,

I posted this recently under unknown badges but didn't get any takers so am re-posting here as pretty sure it is cavalry or yeomanry and have done more homework on the hallmark. It is a heavy silver badge which is hallmarked at the front in the coronet F&S which I had originally thought was for Firmin and Sons but on further research it is for F Fattorini and Sons Ltd, Birmingham date letter g 1906-7, PWO spread plumes with Ich Dien motto on upswept scroll ends. Measures 51x46mm and has three screw posts - two with original brass U-shaped nuts. I think it is too big to be an NCO's arm badge. It could be a pouch or sabretache badge possibly 12th Lancers, 10th Hussars or 3rd Dragoon Guards. There is a Denbighshire Yeomanry (Hussars) badge shown in Cox 1305 which looks similar.

The Fattorini silver hallmark I have not seen before only as a makers mark on a VTC badge and it is not shown on the Makers Mark section of the Forum.

Any thoughts please, am jet lagged on whirlwind 3 day trip to London so hope I have not goofed yet again on my ID, cheers Dean.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cav.28.f.jpg (84.7 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg cav.28.r.jpg (68.9 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg cav.28.f2.jpg (28.2 KB, 44 views)

Last edited by mooke07; 16-01-13 at 04:17 AM.
Old 16-01-13, 09:24 AM
LYPAO Boff

Mooke the DHY badge I think you elude to is the one shown below on the old Flintshire (Maylor) Yeomanry Cavalry Bell top shako..... compared the one you show it is different. The large DHY POWs of the period of the hallmark you quote is also seen on the crossbelt pouch ....silver/gilt (again different to yours).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FYCBadge.jpg (19.9 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg erez3.jpg (52.6 KB, 8 views)

"A Yeoman from the Stalwart Rural Cavalry"
Lechyd da pob Cymro
Old 16-01-13, 08:52 PM

Thanks for the DHY badge comparisons Griff. I am favouring a 12 Lancers Officers pouch or sabretache badge at present and shall pursue some lines of enquiry.

Certainly a keeper, cheers Dean.
Old 17-01-13, 06:05 AM
Member 2010-21- Rest in Peace

Talking

G'day Dean

Hey man thats a nice badge.

Cheers

Phil.
Old 17-01-13, 06:32 PM

Thanks Phil - finding this one locally proved to me that good British badges are still out there even in Australia, cheers Dean.
Old 20-01-13, 10:55 AM

"...hallmarked at the front in the coronet F&S which I had originally thought was for Firmin and Sons but on further research it is for F Fattorini and Sons Ltd, Birmingham..."
Up until now I was under the impression the maker mark F&S was by Firmin, it would be interesting to hear why your research makes it a Fattorini mark.

Rgds,

Thomas.
Old 20-01-13, 11:12 AM

Hi Thomas,

Apology required. The F&S mark for Fattorini & Sons has all three letters set in the one rectagonal tablet with chamfered corners and on further cleaning and a better loop mine is F&S with letter each within a square tablet with chamfered corners which is indeed consistent with Firmin and Sons. Their hallmark for Birmingham is registered from 1882. My apologies and thanks for the correction.

Cheers Dean.
Old 20-01-13, 11:56 AM

No need to appologise Dean, I've now learned what a Fattorini mark looks like. Also Fattorini didn't make many military badges and to my knowledge no maker marked silver ones?

Rgds,

Thomas.
Old 20-01-13, 12:12 PM

Hi again Thomas,

Yes what excited me was the fact that I too thought Fattorini marked badges like VTC ones and a silver hallmarked one would be nice. His silver appears to be flatware like many silversmiths.

All a learning, cheers and thanks again for checking on this one, Dean.

Tags
fattorini, pwo plumes