British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Other Army Departments and Corps Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 21-02-11, 03:05 PM

Peter.

I agree with you yet again, looking at it, it would appear that cap and collars were the same and a tad small to support a slider as we know them.

But who knows, somebody else may know a lot more than us and that ain't too difficult in my case.

Regards
Brian

P.S. Just had another read on the relevant website re the badge, the modern day badges are completely different to our style, and apart from the piccie of a nurse wearing collar and caps, there is no other mention of that style apart from being shown as medals, my style.

And nothing that I can see showing badges after the name change.

All seem to relate to a cross of The Order of Danneborg, as chosen by the first president, HRH Queen Alexandra.
Old 21-02-11, 03:46 PM
Peter J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatherofthree View Post
... and nothing that I can see showing badges after the name change.

All seem to relate to a cross of The Order of Danneborg, as chosen by the first president, HRH Queen Alexandra.
Yes, I noticed that too. Quite interesting reading.

PJ
Old 21-02-11, 07:33 PM

Thanks for posting the link, Brian, most interesting!
Cheers, Tinto
Old 11-03-11, 07:22 PM

Default Q.A.I.M.N.S.R.

I picked one of these badges up recently in a mixed Lot, again with N-S lugs.

A quick look at the List of Changes post 1946 does not mention this unit or badge, but it does mention the Q.A.I.M.N.S. when they became part of Q.A.R.A.N.C. I think that the Reserve had been previously redesignated as the Territorial Army Nursing Service in 1920.

In August 1950 Q.A.I.M.N.S. adopted their new Q.A.R.A.N.C. badges which included a cape badge. There may be a possibility therefore that the badge we refer to may also have been worn on their cap.

Stephen.
Old 17-01-12, 08:59 PM

Default QAIMNS Reserve

Hi,
The badges are all to the Queen Alexanders Imperial Military Nursing Service Reserve. The halmarked badge('Medal') to carrington was worn on the nurses tippet during WWI. A smaller version of this was worn on the tippet during WWII. The lugged badge was originally worn as collar badges on the Grey service dress. This dress was replaced by khaki service dress during the war and the lugged badge was then also worn as a cap badge on an ATS style cap. Later in the war the lugged badge was worn on a beret with battledress.

I have posted some pictures of the variations in dress.

Steven
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 451.jpg (25.9 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg FIL1396.JPG (36.0 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg an006150.jpg (46.0 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg an006159.jpg (57.8 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpeg an006161.jpeg (22.1 KB, 51 views)
Old 17-01-12, 10:51 PM

Hi Steven.

That's marvellous, many thanks for the information and for posting the photographs.

It's good to see badges,medals and other insignia actually being worn in contemporary piccies.

Regards
Brian
Old 17-01-12, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter J View Post
Hello Tinto,

Thanks for posting the medal, and for sharing the story behind it.

My badge is approx 21mm in diameter, how does that compare with yours?

Regards,

PJ
Hi,

The approximate size of the cap badge is: H 33mm X W 29mm, which is normally found with a brooch pin fitting E & W. The collar lugged N & S measures approximately: H 26mm X W 21mm.

Best regards,
Zob.
Old 05-01-20, 11:10 AM

I particularly like the first photograph on the left of the QAIMNS Reserve Sister, a dear sweet lady in grey, I suspect I'd have been very pleased to see her wearing her tippet complete with her well deserved qualification badge.
Do you know who she was?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milmed View Post
Hi,
The badges are all to the Queen Alexanders Imperial Military Nursing Service Reserve. The halmarked badge('Medal') to carrington was worn on the nurses tippet during WWI. A smaller version of this was worn on the tippet during WWII. The lugged badge was originally worn as collar badges on the Grey service dress. This dress was replaced by khaki service dress during the war and the lugged badge was then also worn as a cap badge on an ATS style cap. Later in the war the lugged badge was worn on a beret with battledress.

I have posted some pictures of the variations in dress.

Steven

Last edited by Frank Kelley; 05-01-20 at 05:13 PM.
Old 17-01-20, 11:10 AM

I think Tippet badges are particularly nice things in general, with the QAIMNS Reverse examples that were actually sold by Carrington&Co being very pleasing, it is certainly interesting to note that the company were not only Court jewellers on Regent Street, but, they had actually held the royal warrant of Queen Alexandra herself prior to 1910 whilst she was soveriegn.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1030494.jpg (42.6 KB, 12 views)