British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Headdress

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 06-11-22, 12:20 PM

Default Jungle hat

I am not sure of the correct terminology for this kind of headwear so I will call it a camoflauged jungle hat. It came with a battledress and trousers and an Indian K.D. jacket that belonged to a Major in the Royal Engineers. That said, there may be no connection with the Major but they came from the same house clearance.

I do not know why a slidered L.R.B. cap badge has been sewn on to the hat, but it has clearly been there for some time.

Does anyone recognise the hat as being an issued item, and the period that it was in use? I am thinking post WW2. There are no markings apart from the number 8 or letter S, which I presume is the size.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg More finds 008.jpg (100.4 KB, 134 views)
File Type: jpg More finds 009.jpg (76.7 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg More finds 011.jpg (112.8 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg More finds 010.jpg (101.7 KB, 83 views)
Old 06-11-22, 06:09 PM

I am not able to shed any light on this other than to say that over here that type of hat is called a Boonie Hat. My first recollection of them is the Vietnam War. Also, in the excellent movie "Danger Close" the Australians are shown wearing it, but in a solid jungle green color.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIUk4bA9tjM

Terry
Old 06-11-22, 07:51 PM

Simon,

Interesting, not a camo pattern I recognize. Have found this site which has a number of similar styles used by the British Army which may assist in a positive identification.

https://camopedia.org/index.php/United_Kingdom

All the best Mate, Simon.
Old 06-11-22, 08:04 PM

Has a 60'70's look, especially the green band in the inside, reminds me of UK DPM smocks of that period though I don't recognize the camo as UK DPM. Lots of similar camo around in that period, from Vietnam, us & arvn as well as Rhodesia etc.

Jerry
Old 06-11-22, 09:18 PM

It’s a Bush Hat, usually issued in warm/tropical climates with appropriate dpm shirts etc in Hong Kong, Kenya, Belize and Brunei, sometimes found with unit adornments.
Paul
Old 06-11-22, 09:35 PM

Many thanks for all your replies.

On closer examination, there appears to have once been a white label, about two and a half inches wide, sewn under the green inside band. It looks to have been cut off close to the band leaving just a small edge showing. It is a shame that it has been removed as it would have revealed the origin of the hat.
Old 06-11-22, 09:48 PM

Could it be African of some sort?

Terry
Old 07-11-22, 11:38 AM

The pattern looks similar to the early French camo. However that does not work with S for small.

Marc
Old 07-11-22, 10:55 PM

It's a bush hat or boonie hat. Many wore them, including British, French, Rhodesians, Australians and Americans. Probably made more famous by Aussies in Vietnam, although FFL elements wore them at Dien Bien Phu.
Old 08-11-22, 06:54 AM

For what it's worth, my "jungle green" example issued to me new in Singapore in 1964 is dated 1945 (made by J COLLETT LTD (?)) and factory (?) stamped RC 5410.
Old 08-11-22, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jackson View Post
For what it's worth, my "jungle green" example issued to me new in Singapore in 1964 is dated 1945 (made by J COLLETT LTD (?)) and factory (?) stamped RC 5410.
Thank you Mike, Is all that information on a white label sewn into the sweat band? There is evidence that my hat once had a white label.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Boony 004.jpg (69.0 KB, 26 views)
Old 08-11-22, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Wood View Post
Thank you Mike, Is all that information on a white label sewn into the sweat band? There is evidence that my hat once had a white label.
No, I have one from the same era and also cWW2 vintage which is stamped.
Old 08-11-22, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Wood View Post
No - all printed in black ink directly onto the OG fabric. No evidence of any other labelling. Mike
Old 08-11-22, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal View Post
No, I have one from the same era and also cWW2 vintage which is stamped.
Which is why I asked if the hat was military as it wasn't marked about from the letter S. It looks like the sort of hat that was sold in Milletts in the 1970's. I am thinking that it is not British and was probably bought in an army surplus store many years ago.

I have no idea why there is a Great War period London Rifle Brigade cap badge attached to it, but to be honest, I bought it for the badge.
Old 08-11-22, 10:22 PM

I do not recognize the camo either. Suffice to say it is not British, but likely one of the many camo types originating out of parts of Asia or Africa in 60s or 70s.
The badge was probably added as civilian adornment.

CB