British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 02-10-23, 05:04 PM

Default Huge Royal Mail price rise today.

I hope everyone who sells and ships has clocked the huge Royal Mail price rise today. I'm afraid I had taken my eyes off the ball and was absolutely side swiped by it - I normally expect price rises 1st April! Large letter 2nd class, my most oft used service, now £1.55 - a 40p or 35% increase! This requires me to up my ebay postage amount for one badge by 47p including ebay fees. It really isn't going to be worth it soon. This just a heads up for anyone else who, like me, hadn't seen it coming. Mike
Old 02-10-23, 05:28 PM

Default royal mail

Hi Mike, that explains a shock I got at the post office this morning. I sent 3 items, 1 just an envelope that required a stamp and signed for label - £2.20 ! I knew signed for had gone up from £1 extra to £1.20, but £1 for a stamp - crazy. I hadn't heard of price hike.They will price themselves out of business shortly with Amazon offering free delivery and you get the item next day !

Mark
Old 02-10-23, 08:27 PM

What about international? It is bad enough for me as it is to get anything from the UK. If international is increased again, this may put the nail in the coffin for me

CB
Old 02-10-23, 08:54 PM

Default Price rises

When the pandemic first hit us and XXXX amount of money was handed out someone said to me "who is going to pay for this?"

I said "We are" and we will be paying out for the years to come, it seems my forecast was correct with everyone putting up prices even if they do not warrant it.

Badges, especially cloth badges weigh very little in comparison with other items, I have an anvil to dispose of

Any takers?

Buyer pays postage!

Rob
Old 02-10-23, 09:52 PM

Postage from the colonies is pretty ridiculous too. I used to be able to send a registered, tracked item for NZ$7.50 ANYWHERE in the world.

Now NZ$27 for a small padded envelope and we won't even mention the cost of a tracked, signed for thingy...

How ever will I be able to send my Victorian lawn mower collection overseas?
Old 02-10-23, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbuehler View Post
What about international? It is bad enough for me as it is to get anything from the UK. If international is increased again, this may put the nail in the coffin for me

CB
It actually looks like international has remained remained pretty static, but tracked etc was already extremely steep, so it seems they have been selective in what they've hit. I fear there will be another price hike in April. If you can get this from your location, these are the prices as of today. Mike https://www.royalmail.com/sites/roya...tober-2023.pdf
Old 03-10-23, 12:22 AM

I do the packing and posting for an antique/collectables shop and was shocked by the Signed For Large Letter increase, such that I got the boss to double-check I hadn't made a mistake - what made it even more odd is that Signed For Small Parcel hasn't increased at all.

And I agree with Rob, during the Lockdowns they were handing out money hand over fist, but it had/has to come from somewhere.

Graham
I am looking to purchase items from the British Administration Police & Prison Services in Cyrenaica & Tripolitania; Eritrea & Ethiopia; Somalia (f. Italian Somaliland) & British Somaliland; & the Dodecanese: insignia, documents, photographs etc.
Old 03-10-23, 07:37 AM

Well said sonofacqms. Any right minded person would realise that the Furlough Scheme had to be paid for. But so many people wanted to perish the thought. The scheme, no matter how justified, wrecked our economy and will continue to do so for some years to come. Add to that working from home, an out of control NHS, uncontrolled immigration, the end of service and people who believe rising prices and greed will solve our problems, and you have our present situation - not forgetting of course our woke brothers and sisters.
Old 03-10-23, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volunteer Soldier View Post
Well said sonofacqms. Any right minded person would realise that the Furlough Scheme had to be paid for. But so many people wanted to perish the thought. The scheme, no matter how justified, wrecked our economy and will continue to do so for some years to come. Add to that working from home, an out of control NHS, uncontrolled immigration, the end of service and people who believe rising prices and greed will solve our problems, and you have our present situation - not forgetting of course our woke brothers and sisters.
Oh dear...please don't hijack my post with your swivel eyed political rantings or it might get taken down (admin?). It would be good it remains just to let people know there's been a considerable, unscheduled and, IMO, poorly advertised rise in the price of the large letter rate - the staple of cap badge trade - by the (privatised) Royal Mail and they may want to revise their listings accordingly. Thanks
Old 03-10-23, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonofacqms View Post
When the pandemic first hit us and XXXX amount of money was handed out someone said to me "who is going to pay for this?"

I said "We are" and we will be paying out for the years to come, it seems my forecast was correct with everyone putting up prices even if they do not warrant it.

Badges, especially cloth badges weigh very little in comparison with other items, I have an anvil to dispose of

Any takers?

Buyer pays postage!

Rob
Hi rob, has the anvil got a cast iron stand.?
Old 04-10-23, 09:47 AM

No takers for my lawnmowers then? One has the broad arrow mark.
Old 04-10-23, 10:06 AM

Morning all.

Blimey just been to the post of to post a cd (Size O jiffy large letter size envelope so one you would probably use to send a badge) and charge for 2nd class is (102g in weight) was £2.40 (last week it was £1.85) so an increase of 55p or 30%.

Taking into account what e:bay charge (applied to p&p) not to be out of pocket the minimum you are going have to charge is going to be £2.75 (that giving the envelope free). Who is going to pay that p&p on an item that maybe selling for under £1 or £2.

Notice that no where (tv or press) has this been mentioned (pity some companies who have to pay these prices), if anything else had gone up by 30% (I know HS2 has gone up more ) all the channels would be talking about it.

Moan over.

Ta

Jonathan
Old 04-10-23, 01:48 PM

Default royal mail

Have just obtained new price guide from royal mail valid from 2nd October 23. Significant rises across the range of services and who knew ?

Mark
Old 05-10-23, 11:58 AM

Default Canada post charges

Please take this post in the joking manner that I am sending it in but you have no reason to complain! I just got back on to eBay selling (not for long!) and I sold a Vol Artillery helmet plate. eBay fees were horrendous but when I packed up the plate in cut out cardboard (made it as thin as possible) in a jiffy pack. It was 1cm thick. It cast me over 22GBP! Bloody ridiculous. It will be cheaper to fly over to the UK with a bunch of stuff than posting it. Wont be selling on eBay anymore.

Colin