British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Civilian Services: Police, Prison Service, Fire Brigade, Merchant Navy, etc.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 08-10-16, 08:37 PM

Default Prison Collar Dogs

Do any of my prison collector friends know how many types of metal these come in?

20161008_160328-1.jpg
Old 08-10-16, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMPbadges View Post
Do any of my prison collector friends know how many types of metal these come in?

Attachment 157560
I did have two chrome pairs. One pair KC and the other pair QC. However, I parted with them many years ago after being assured that the were worn by the Singapore Police during their colonial period. I now have my doubts. That said, would they have been worn in the UK with a QC centre?

Dave.
Old 08-10-16, 11:40 PM

Bantam will know more about this particular item than me me but as far as I'm aware they were only ever produced with a QVC and the immediately following KC. Before this they used a single QVC crown on the collar.
Old 10-10-16, 05:11 AM

Hi All,
The collars were worn by Warders who had a minimum of 10 years service and had passed the promotion exam and were on the promotion list to Principal Officer.
Warders wore a crown and Assistant Warders nothing on the collars. All badges were in brass.
Hwyl Bantam.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kings Crown Senior Warders collar 2.jpg (70.9 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg S Senior Warders Vic collar 1.jpg (46.1 KB, 13 views)
Old 10-10-16, 08:16 AM

Gents,

I have a copy of a Victorian badge manufacturers pattern book which gives drawings of items made for police forces, fire brigades and prisons. It mainly consists of police badges with a small number for fire brigades and an even smaller number for prisons. The items were all actually made and dies cut accordingly. You can see the die number shown below the image in most cases. Look at the collar badges. They have consecutive die numbers and this suggests that they were produced at the same time.

Now, the difficult bit is that the book does not say who they were made for. Whether UK or overseas. But, those items may still be out there somewhere. Comments welcomed. Photos attached.

Dave.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Collar 1.jpg (112.3 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Collar 2.jpg (85.5 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Collar 3.jpg (122.7 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Crown 1.jpg (92.6 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Buckle 3.jpg (118.7 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Buckle 1.jpg (120.2 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg Buckle 2.jpg (122.7 KB, 14 views)
Old 10-10-16, 11:41 AM

Hi altcar73,
A fascinating document the designs of the belt buckles of Prison and Convict Department's are l ones I've seen in made up form and were worn in British Prisons. The Bury St Edmunds buckle again followers the same type of pattern for county prisons and no doubt the buttons would have been the same pattern. I've seen a similar type county prison belt buckle to Worcestershire where the county emblem was in the center.
The assistant warder badge I've seen in a similar design but it was attributed to South Africa and of a much more recent date. Thank you very much for posting and look forward to others comments,observations.
Hwyl Bantam.
Old 10-10-16, 08:50 PM

Simply amazing Dave,

Thanks ever so much for sharing such important information. Does the document describe which metals were used at all?
Old 10-10-16, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMPbadges View Post
Simply amazing Dave,

Thanks ever so much for sharing such important information. Does the document describe which metals were used at all?
Yes, it does. The word "Brass" appears below each image.

Dave.