British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 01-05-13, 08:25 PM

Default Suffolk Regiment eco?

Hi all

Came across this being sold as "WW1 4th 5th AND 6th BATTALIONS SUFFOLK REGIMENT ALL BRASS ECONOMY ISSUE CAP BADGE"
From what I can tell, these TF battalions' badge was different (castle,key, etc)

But could this be a blackened eco-version of the regular Suffolk?

Also, is there a consensus regarding the 1916 eco-strike of the 4,5 and 6 Suffolk Reg. TF, or is that a debatable version, as I've been told? (as opposed to the regular Suffolk eco-strike?)

Thnx for any input

Colin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.JPG (43.1 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg 2.JPG (38.3 KB, 39 views)

"One day I'll leave you, a phantom to lead you in the Summer, to join the Black Parade"
Old 01-05-13, 08:37 PM
Former Member

Colin,
it is certainly a Regular Pattern c.1916 all Gm badge, whether or not the blackened finish is original or a later tactical adaptation or an even later attempt to make it look like a TF badge I don't know?

Andy
Old 02-05-13, 02:45 AM
Super Moderator

There was no blackended brass TF badge for the Suffolks. None of the pre 1908 battalions had a rifle regiment lineage so there was no use of blackened brass badges or buttons by Suffolk TF.

The seller's description is very wrong. It is a regular Bn pattern badge that has been blackened. When this happened is anyones guess.
Old 02-05-13, 06:07 AM

"None of the pre 1908 battalions had a rifle regiment lineage so there was no use of blackened brass badges or buttons by Suffolk TF.."

The 1st Volunteer Battalion wore black rifles buttons on their dark green uniforms and had black rifles buttons, and blackened brass shoulder titles, on their khaki Service Dress.

The dark green uniform was worn with a black slouch hat with a blackened brass shoulder title style badge on the turned up side.

Oddly, even though photographs clearly show black rifles buttons and blackened shoulder titles being worn on khaki serge, all versions of the 1/VB cap badge being worn in khaki appear to be lightly bronzed not black.

In the Regimental Museum there is a dark green 1VB Officers forage cap with blackened rifles buttons and a blackened Victorian cap badge.

However, in 1908, all rifles trappings disappear when 1VB becomes 4/Suffolk.
Old 03-05-13, 02:55 AM
Super Moderator

I stand corrected on the VB. Its is not a TF badge and I doubt that it was for 'camouflage'. By the introduction of economy badges in late 1916, steel helmets would have been issued for wear in the trenches.