British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Other Military Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 06-04-13, 04:13 PM

Default Buller Barracks Final "Farewell" Parade (Aldershot)

Hello Guy’s n Gal’s

I’ve been a busy little bee for the past few months, sorting out a few things here and there. The latest project has just finished and I, Jim Titheridge & Bill Mason are extremely happy with the end results.

We were saddened to learn of the closure and handover to a civilian contractor for demolition, of our Regt HQ & Depot & Trg Regt of the Royal Corps of Transport at “Buller Bks” on the 31 March 2013.

Over the past year, we 3 have been organising a farewell parade for all of the soldiers who have passed through the doors of the Depot, so as to honour our Regiment and also to pay our respects to all of our comrades who had died in the course of their service to the army and never made it back. (This was most important and was at the top of my list in organising)

We had no support for this parade from neither the Government, Army nor Association, including “Veterans Support”. It was only through the efforts of us few that we managed to drum up support through “Facebook” with a site to organise our own support to carry this parade/event through.

We came up against serious opposition at every corner, but through our own determination and tenacity we won the doubters over.

Could an ex “Driver, Cpl & Sgt” really be able to organise such a complex event?
Have you got Insurance to hold this parade?
Could they train a bunch of “ex” veterans to March and parade on the drill square with little or no practise?
How will they keep in step?
They’ll need a band, how will they get a military band at such short notice?
(Most Military Bands cost in the region of £4,000-£5,000) where will the money come from)?
It takes the Guards weeks of hard training to be able to march in a proper ceremony.
Who will take the salute on the parade, you’ll need an officer

The list was endless, Parking, Toilets, disabled soldiers, a limit on numbers etc.

We were asked to a meeting with the Garrison Commander (Col. MHG Russell) & the RASC/RCT Association secretary (Lt Col J. Knowles) and convinced them that this can be done, by us & by the guys. They gave us their backing and Lt Col Knowles was indeed very helpful towards us all, and gave me much help in loaning us useful pieces of Corps Flags and a wreath, to which we were extremely grateful, and I thank them both for his trust in us to make this such a special day for all within the Corps.

Well on Saturday 30th March 2013 (1 day) before handover of Buller Bks Aldershot, we did it, we held; The Buller Bks Final “Farewell” Parade.

320 Veterans marched onto the square at Buller Bks for the final “Farewell” Parade; it was an emotional day for some, but a bitterly freezing cold day for all. I was proud enough to say “I was there, and was the organiser at the Aldershot end which made it a worthwhile occasion for us all.

We had a marching band, The Old Basing RBL Corps of Drums & the RASC/ RCT “veterans” Staff Band
Officer on parade to take the salute; Brig. Jeff Little OBE
We had a serving RSM (Ex RCT); WO1 (RSM) Paul Weston Simms (2 York’s)
Drum Major; Bill Prendergast (ex RCT Drum Maj 1981-1986)
Standard Bearers from various RBL & RASC/RCT Associations
Organisers; Bill Mason, Jim T and myself
Photographers & Videographers George Slough, Mike Leahy
We also had an endless list of people to help us out along the way.

The Parade, Memorial Service and Flag Lowering ceremony followed by a piper playing a lament called;

"Will ya no come back again"
it was a great success, and brought tears to some eyes in the ranks, but everyone played their part on the day.

We went out in style, there were no "Tick Tockers" and no one out of step and when we presented all 320 soldiers and their family members who braved the cold conditions with a commemorative medallion it took the chill out of everyone.

What a day we had, and what a special day to remember. As we were handing out the medallions I came across 5 old friends in the ranks, so I was over the moon with that.

After this we had arranged a venue in a pub in Aldershot from 19.00hrs, but everyone wanted to go to the pub ASAP, to warm them up, which is what they did. Me? I had to make sure everything was back to normal, camp clean n tidy etc., but I met them all later on.

I thought it important to explain before placing the images up here. =-)
3 of the 5.jpg

156839_556336271055106_429821926_n.jpg

8617596395_760389d86e_m.jpg

8617610455_63af0481b1_m.jpg

8617616763_c58ef40a48_m.jpg

P3300202.jpg

P3300246.jpg

WO1 (RSM) Paul Weston Simms.jpg
Old 06-04-13, 04:21 PM

8618936309_98751f0021_o.jpg
Old 06-04-13, 04:51 PM

Great piece of work, congratulations.

Marc
Old 06-04-13, 05:21 PM

Thanks Marc,

This is the image that will stay with us all forever, it has the Corps church of;

St Michaels & St George

in the background as well as all the guys & the RSM Paul Simms, marching to the Dais.

524633_10151607824491320_809953127_n.jpg

Also we've hit the local papers as well, I'll place that image up in a miute as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8618936309_0b21890b4a_c.jpg (35.2 KB, 19 views)
Old 06-04-13, 05:22 PM

Ken. Well done. You are a credit to your cap badge. Went through a similar experience when the Army Technical Foundation Collage (Army Apprentices School/Collage) at Arborfield closed. Very emotional. How do veterens of 40/50 years plus get like that when at the time you hated every minute of it?
We did manage a few more reunions at Arborfield courtesy of SEAE (School of Electrical and Aeronautical Engineering), but all that land is now being sold off and I believe defence training is moving to RAF Lyneham. Happy times!
Old 06-04-13, 05:24 PM

Looks a great turnout, Ken. As you say, everyone in step.
Thanks for the pictures.
Cheers, Tinto
Old 06-04-13, 05:42 PM

Ken,
Well done! But it is disappointing that more help was not forthcoming from the powers that be.
Eddie
Old 06-04-13, 06:05 PM

We won them over though Eddie, and they could see we covered all the bases to enable this event to go forward, and it wasn't gonna cost them a penny either.

In the end the Army and the RASC/RCT Assn came through and took all the costs on from the Insurance £6.000,000 coverage to the Toilets and Parking. This meant that all the money we raised will now go to a number of charities, all military and all of them Veterans Charities.

Sometimes we still have to have the courage to stick our heads over the parapet to be seen, even though there are people wanting to blow it off.

If it was your Regiment lads n lasses, what would you do ?

We have now closed the book on the Royal Corps of Transport, and for that I'm proud to have been a part of the history. I was given the honour of lowering the Corps flag on Saturday and was a very proud "EX" soldier (Vet)

Nil Sine Labore is our motto; And it was definately hard work that pulled us all through, which is what we were trained to do.
Old 06-04-13, 06:55 PM

Fantastic Ken, well done to you and your cohorts.

Will be sure to show my old man this, he served through RASC/RCT/RLC.

Cheers,

Andy C
Old 06-04-13, 07:16 PM

Ken ... Simply Outstanding, a glass with you !

Ritchie.
Old 06-04-13, 07:48 PM
Banned

Default Get on Parade

--

Last edited by Charlie585; 21-11-13 at 03:07 PM.
Old 06-04-13, 08:26 PM

Thank you to all of you,

And now, the medallions we kept secret from everyone, right up until they were all on parade, that included the Brigadier as well.

320 medallions were struck for this event, images below

P4060018.jpg A bit of a suprise as mine was blue, & had my name on it

P4060032.jpg Program (F)

P4060033.jpg Program (R)

8617718287_e0f5d7c39a_m.jpg Corps Flag over Buller for the last time

A1.jpg Me, John Higgins & Dave "Harry" Worth

P3300029.jpg Brig Little, Sally (his wife) Theresa and our daughter Chantelle

P3300205.jpg Corps Standards, Incld RASC Standard

P3300213.jpg The Band w Bill Prendergast "Drum Major"

P3300203.jpg Brig. Jeff Little

P3300252.jpg Memorial to our fallen brothers for the last time
Old 06-04-13, 09:25 PM

Congratulations Ken. Nice one son! Just shows what you can do if you put your mind to it. Who says you need the Guards to drill everyone? Now, there's this little parade that happens in London around June every year. Trooping something????

David
Old 06-04-13, 09:47 PM

Well done Ken. Jobs a good'un. Pat on the back. Regards, Paul.
Old 06-04-13, 09:50 PM

Bravo Zulu!

Phil

Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur

Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.