British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 04-03-16, 03:27 PM

Default Royal 102nd Madras Fusiliers pork pie hat badge

Hi guys,

I was lucky enough to pick up one of these simple Royal 102nd Madras Fusiliers pork pie hat badges. Does some of you have more information about these; when they were used, how common they are, etc?

Also is there any photos available of that badge with the hat?

Thanks,

Timo
I am always looking early (pre 1939) British ribbon bars with foreign awards; interesting devices or just different construction solutions. Also I am seeking Royal Dublin Fusiliers items. I can help in small scale to research RDF soldiers (MICs, medal rolls, additional information, etc).
Old 04-03-16, 04:33 PM

Hi Timo

I think 102nd MF would have worn brass numerals on the forage cap from 1861 until the early 1870's. It's possible they wore a grenade above the numerals, I think 101st did.

There are many published photos relating to the army in general showing this cap & numerals being worn, including various from the former HEIC Regiments.
Not sure about 102nd specifically though.

David

PS... can't see an image of the numerals so I'm assuming what you have are actually forage cap numerals.

Last edited by davidwyke; 04-03-16 at 05:30 PM.
Old 05-03-16, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaethon View Post
Hi guys,

I was lucky enough to pick up one of these simple Royal 102nd Madras Fusiliers pork pie hat badges. Does some of you have more information about these; when they were used, how common they are, etc?

Also is there any photos available of that badge with the hat?

Thanks,

Timo
You could start posting a picture of what you picked up, so others may know what to look for.

Interested in the lineage of the unit your badge represents?
Try: Regimental lineages
Old 05-03-16, 12:11 PM

Hi Timo here are some photos showing the 102nd with Pork Pie hat not clear in the book so you can only get the drift - idea of what's what! You can make out the Genadier badge (flaming grenade) with numerals to bottom! Am sure there are better photos elsewhere so for now hope this helps all the best billy

Here also is 103 rd to show how these may have been! found one chuffed (restrike copy? Didn't care really thought as never seen one it ought to be assumed good? Then I found another !! Now assumed doubtfull!) "Copy I think possibly ?"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160305_120414-1.jpg (51.7 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 20160305_120423-1.jpg (112.7 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 20160305_121206-1.jpg (71.6 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 20160305_121807-1.jpg (120.7 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg 20160305_121822-1.jpg (119.4 KB, 20 views)

Last edited by billy; 05-03-16 at 12:29 PM.
Old 07-03-16, 01:56 PM

Oh, my bad! Here is the photo (I bought it from bosley's last auction - still waiting post).

Now, what are my chances to get one of these grenades?

Thanks Billy for amazing photos!

Timo
I am always looking early (pre 1939) British ribbon bars with foreign awards; interesting devices or just different construction solutions. Also I am seeking Royal Dublin Fusiliers items. I can help in small scale to research RDF soldiers (MICs, medal rolls, additional information, etc).

Last edited by phaethon; 07-03-16 at 02:03 PM.
Old 11-03-16, 01:24 PM

I got it from post yesterday and I am really pleased and surprised of its large size.