British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > South African Military and Police Insignia > Army

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 23-12-13, 02:03 PM

Default South African beret badges of the 1980s

Have added an album of badges for interest - at http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...p?albumid=2146
Old 24-12-13, 03:12 AM

Default bars

A couple of questions about the bars. Are they only worn on the beret below the badge?

And when were they first used? Are they still in use?

Thank you
John
Old 24-12-13, 04:08 PM

Hi John

Sorry I am not an expert in this field but suspect they were introduced from what I can work out in the 1970's and can remember some being worn into the 1990's, suspect they are no longer in use?

Brian
Old 24-12-13, 06:28 PM

Hi Brian,

Thank you. I thought that they might no longer be worn. I use Owen as my reference for African insignia, so I was thinking that they were not use for a long time period. Either that or he just omitted them.

Thanks again
John
Old 27-12-13, 02:28 PM

Hullo John

The beret bars were introduced during WW2. The cloth helmet flash was either cut or folded to form a bar and was used as a continuation of the helmet flash. They are only worn on berets.

I have attached some photos of the entire series of SA Sigs. The WW2 version is on a black beret dated 1941 and was worn by a signaller attached to the SA 6th Armoured Div in Italy. The current government decided that the tradition was "too old SA" and ordered them all removed in 2003.

Owens book is quite out of date, but is an excellent reference for general identification. Another good general identification reference is Andrew Dinnes book Border War Badges. I wrote a book on SA badges some time ago called Starting Out Collecting South African Militaria. It contains images of insignia, and has short descriptions of most of the regiment's histories. It can be obtained at JustDone Publishers in Durban SA. http://www.justdone.co.za/shop/index...ry=dudley+wall

Regards

Dudley

Last edited by Madziro; 27-12-13 at 02:37 PM.
Old 27-12-13, 06:25 PM

Thanks for the punt Dudley. Regards Andrew
Old 28-12-13, 12:29 AM

Thank you Dudley for the information. I must look into getting your book. I found Owen to be missing a lot of badges, it seams be a lot cloth ones.

John
Old 29-12-13, 12:23 PM

John

Owens is definatelty "a little dated"! It sadly had a number of badges missing, one person put it this way "It was Colin Owen's collection", yes, he had an amazing collection, but not complete.(will any publication of this nature ever be complete?)

Andrews book is a great addition to the military badge history of SA especially regards the SADF era badges. One needs this book if one collects SA Badges.

Thanks Dudley for filling in the history of SA "Balkies" I never knew it went back to WW2. I'm sure I saw a member of the UMR wearing their Cloth Balkie a few months back, when we visited their HQ for a fund raising open day. I will keep a look out and let you know.

Brian
Old 30-12-13, 12:36 AM

Brian,

I can see if Owen's book was his collection, and I agree a superb one for sure, it is lacking to the total for reference.

I have seen the "Balkies' from time to time but knowing nothing about them have always stayed away from them.

Thanks to all for the information
John
Old 30-12-13, 04:48 AM
Banned

A lot of books are of the authors collection — Owen, Braggs and Turner are no exceptions.

As far as Rhodesian militaria is concerned there is a number of items missing but this is the same with all reference books on Rhodesian militaria. I assume this is the same with South African militaria. Saying that I have Dudley's book and it is a very good reference.
Old 30-12-13, 08:10 PM

Thank you for the kind words. I believe that one cannot have too many reference books for the subject! There will never be a definitive book that covers every single badge in existence. Each one has its own uniqueness and value.

As has rightly been said, the two books I wrote are entirely based on my own collection. Their "style" is based on Cursons books of the 1950s - 1960s. The approach was to cover the subject from a beginners point of view. I do not consider myself an expert on the matter of collecting insignia and continue to learn new things on a daily basis!

I also have Andrew's book which is invaluable for SADF badges and a must have for this era. I also find Tylden's book of great value.
Old 01-01-14, 10:07 AM

Dudley

I just wish everyone had followed Curzons example in having a little historical content, it just gives the background to the badge the edge somehow!

Colour is also very important, glad that you and Andrew took that route. Sadly something that is always missing are pictures of the reverse of badges, sometimes this is the only way to "date" a badge. I also notice that most of the productions have largely ignored sand cast and similar type badges produced in SA, East Africa, Egypt and Italy. These were widely worn but authors prefer the officially produced badges. I might sometime have a stab at producing a small booklet on the subject.

Brian
Old 04-01-14, 02:07 PM

Go for it Brian, you have so much knowledge on this subject,
All the best for the new year
Bill.
Old 08-01-14, 11:06 AM

Compliments of the Season to all.

Brian you are quite right when saying that the sand cast badges are not well covered at all. May I be so bold as to encourage you to put out a publication on them. It is info that not many (including myself) know about. Can I put my name down for a copy?

Kind regards

Dudley
Old 13-01-14, 04:08 PM

Dudley

Thanks I will consider it.

I am busy with another work at the moment and this needs to get finished. The sand cast badge work is a side line however it is very interesting and I have been recording these for years now.I have rather a large collection, it is sad that these badges have been largely ignored by the purists.These were worn in the field many others were not. Here is some info and pics I have posted earlier:http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ight=sand+cast

Brian

Last edited by Brian Conyngham; 13-01-14 at 04:16 PM.