British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 10-01-10, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonofacqms View Post
Another dealer friend said that there were no youngsters coming along, as dealers or collectors and that the interest had gone out of the hobby. With this information and a recession, I am amazed when I go to an auction that anyone bids against me, but they do . . !
I didn't start collecting until I was pushing 40 - not sure why the bug only hit then but one reason is that I had other priorities for my meager funds! Could be one reason for a lack of young collectors - especially for these kind of badges!

Cheers, Ian.
Old 10-01-10, 03:08 AM

I did contact the seller before it was listed on ebay.
I asked if there was any provenance..........and didn't receive a reply!!!!
Old 10-01-10, 09:58 AM

Default Original or not original?

In my opinion and I have seen many many fakes from Pakistan, the question is : does this Raiding Support Regiment original or not?
In my opinion It is made like a pakistan fake which would have been worn out and made dirty. There is a mess of threads on the backing which is not a good sign... I suspect it is a fake made in Pakistan. I would be happy hearing someone to explain I am wrong but good arguments are requested please!
Old 10-01-10, 10:39 AM

Default RSR

I do begin to wonder about some of the opinions on this forum, when the SAS badge is is said to be a bleached out fake because of its overall anemic apperance. But this RSR badge which looks as bleached out as the previous cloth badge gets the O.K., strange. John.
Old 10-01-10, 11:18 AM
Administrator

Added the images to the opening post.

Provenance is nice but it doesn't categorically prove authenticity, it just gives the buyer a bit of reassurance.

100% good in my opinion, in fact, if you doubt this from what we can see in the images, you would have to doubt every cloth in existence would you not?
Old 10-01-10, 11:33 AM
Administrator

possibly a problem with this one

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RAIDING-SUPPOR...item3a53e4c8a8
Old 10-01-10, 01:27 PM

A photo of the late Len Whittaker's RSR cap badge.

There is information on the design and manufacture of the badge in his book "Some Talk of Private Armies".

Regards

Danny

LW RSR.jpg
Old 10-01-10, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackpowder44 View Post
I do begin to wonder about some of the opinions on this forum, when the SAS badge is is said to be a bleached out fake because of its overall anemic apperance. But this RSR badge which looks as bleached out as the previous cloth badge gets the O.K., strange. John.
Not strange, john. Either is your mission to wind everyone up on this board with your caustic postings.

The difference being: An obviously modern SAS badge, easily recognisable by it's size and shape, is either stitched to some old material or a modern beret is so badly damaged to be just a remnant around the badge and treated to some chemical process to affect the appearance and suggest age. If this is then passed off as a Second World War period SAS badge it is an attempt to deceive the unwary.

This RSR badge, featured at the start of this thread is not bleached but worn. This badge I would happily own and yes it has a jumble of thread at the back, like we're more used to seeing coming out of Ind-Pak, but the vast majority where made in Bari.

I may be in a different position to most of you as I inherited a complete set of RSR Officers uniforms and berets when the whole SF collecting theme was in it's infancy and the uniforms where considered worthless. I added to this collection when they where still cheap. My collection was mentioned in C&D UK by Francis Mackay who saw my collection, but we never got around to featuring it. My point being I've probably owned more genuine RSR insignia than anyone save the RSR QM!

I have had brown berets with Blue Yugo RSR badges on that would have most of you shunning them with laughter.

Provinance: Granted provenance is nice. But unless you personally get it off the Soldier himself with photos of him wearing it, it's all down to trust and anyone can write a letter. Provinance can be fictional too, made up groups with an added back story. How many badges in your collection have provinance?
Old 13-07-11, 09:26 PM

Hi guys,

This thread came up during a search I was doing as part of research.

I noticed someone mentioned "Inside Noahs Ark". Well, the author, Francis Reid was my girlfriends great uncle. He originally entitled the book "I was in Noahs Ark" (of which I have two copies), and I've found little or no information on it using the wibbly wobbly web.

I know this is a badge forum but I just thought I'd add my tuppence, we also have his beret with badge and maps, service book and photo album that he used during his time in the RSR. Until a few years ago we never knew these items existed but I suppose that's the fantastic thing about dusty boxes in attics!
Old 14-07-11, 06:39 AM

Default RSR

Just to re-set a benchmark of authenticity, could someone please post an image of the badge on Lt Col Sir Thomas Devitt's beret?
Old 14-07-11, 10:53 AM

Hi,
A photo of the beret and badge in the IWM and two other beret badges on display there.

Regards

Danny

IWM (2)resize.jpg IWM (1)resize.jpg
Old 14-07-11, 05:48 PM

Very interesting to see also the chocolate brown beret worn by the RSR. Cheers JB
Old 26-08-11, 07:44 PM

Maxymoo,

My father was Jock Skinner who was mentioned in this book which was also issued under the title "Resistance Fighter". I also have several photos and documents however his insignia is long gone. Apparently he swapped them for some American insignia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxymoo View Post
Hi guys,

This thread came up during a search I was doing as part of research.

I noticed someone mentioned "Inside Noahs Ark". Well, the author, Francis Reid was my girlfriends great uncle. He originally entitled the book "I was in Noahs Ark" (of which I have two copies), and I've found little or no information on it using the wibbly wobbly web.

I know this is a badge forum but I just thought I'd add my tuppence, we also have his beret with badge and maps, service book and photo album that he used during his time in the RSR. Until a few years ago we never knew these items existed but I suppose that's the fantastic thing about dusty boxes in attics!