British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 15-07-15, 03:40 PM

Default 'Frotte' badge purchased.

CLOSER.jpg

MY BADGE 1.jpg

MY BADGE 2.jpgHi, I know roughly what this appears to be but what period exactly?....seen a few ww11 type on-line, which are all much yellower in colour and I have never seen one with backing pin-plate and what appears to be material, is it possible this one is ww1 period? Saw very similar one on the sleeve of a British tunic donated to Tank Corps Museum.
Purchased at Antique Centre a couple of years ago...appeared in amongst china cups-saucers, etc.. in a non-militaria display case. I left it as I collect, mostly ww11 RAF Goggles, helmets, but went back and purchased it.
Apparently there was a ww1 family 'link' with the seller according to the lady on the desk.
Is it possible this is a ww1 'honour' badge?...or, a genuine, period French badge. (same thing?)
It seems unused.
IS IT GENUINE!.................Badges aren't really my thing!

Just been reading other threads concerning this badge!.........where (if genuine) does mine fit, historically?

Last edited by realownlee; 15-07-15 at 04:31 PM. Reason: Other threads
Old 15-07-15, 05:18 PM

Some basic information about this badge....as for being genuine...well I guess some members will be able to shed some light on this item. Seems the cloth backing of this badge looks "bleu horizon" the colour of the French WW1 uniform.

The 9th RTR were awarded the honour of wearing the badge of General Bourgon's French 3rd Division. A replica of the badge was worn on the sleeve of everyone serving in the 9th Battalion, and later by everyone in the 9th RTR. The 9th took their unofficial motto from this badge: "Qui s'y frotte, s'y brule" which translates as "Touch me, and you burn".

Jo

The "original" 9th RTR was formed in December 1916 as the 9th Battalion, Heavy Branch Machine Gun Corps and was designated I Battalion. The unit served at the Battle of Cambrai where, along with III Corps of the Third British Army, achieved complete surprise and pushed the German forces out of the town.
Through the remainder of the War, the 9th were used to great effect, using the tactics they had learnt at Cambrai. The Battalion were awarded the Croix de Guerre avec Palmes as a regimental decoration, an honour that is shared with only three other units in the British Army, all of which are infantry.

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.
Old 23-07-15, 03:50 PM

Many thanks for reply Voltigeur.

Was hoping someone would tell me the 'age' of my particular badge?

Hope no one took offence at me saying badges weren't really my thing!...daft thing to say really...being a Militaria Collector...........got an RAF wing on a tunic to post.

Meant to add, my badge is solid, rather than stamped.
Old 23-07-15, 05:51 PM

WW1.

regards
Steve