British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Australian Military Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 25-01-14, 02:54 AM

Default Beware of Bulgarian sellers

I highly recommend no one buys badges out of Bulgaria. There is a seller or a number of sellers with different ebay names selling reproduction Australian badges. I made the mistake of selling a rare 37th Illawarra hat badge to Bulgaria nearly a year ago, since that time there has been at least 15 or more of these badges put up for sale, and all comming out of Bulgaria. They are made very well, injection moulded, lost wax process. The tell tale at the moment is the lugs, they are all round copper wire, but I believe they are getting better, (after looking at the examples below, they are indeed are much better, however check out the casting mark on the front of the Corps of Engineers badge!) ; The backs too do not look quite right, sometimes showing casting marks, but they are still very well done. I have not seen one in the 'flesh' so don't know if they sound OK when dropped, i.e. the tell tale thud of a cast badge.
Please let everyone know of this ruse, it could really threaten the hobby, turning it into forensic collecting like that of Pommy badges!!!!!
Below are three examples of their work

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/70th-Infa...item3cdb7fdddb
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/49th-Infa...item3cdb7fdb31
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/WW1-AUSTR...item51b8244a87

Last edited by vigilans; 25-01-14 at 03:01 AM.
Old 25-01-14, 03:46 AM

Thanks for the heads up. They appear to have a similar color and or tone to the metal. They do look pretty good though, it is becoming a mine field.
Old 25-01-14, 05:59 AM

Default More Bulgarian duds

More duds out of Bulgaria
****Removed****
****Removed****
****Removed****
I thought long and hard about telling you guys about these flaws, knowing that a person who wants to make better duds could glean this information to improve his duds, but I want everyone to know what to look for.
There are other small faults that experienced collecters will note and at this stage I am not prepared to point them out.
Let me know if this information is of any help or indeed if it is needed
Thanks and beware

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/WW1-Austr...item3cdb7fc760
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Military-...item3cdb7fc762
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Queenslan...item3cdb7fe94e

Last edited by vigilans; 26-01-14 at 06:39 AM.
Old 25-01-14, 07:08 AM

I wholeheartedly agree with this recommendation.

I purchased a 16th W.A. Cameron Highlanders (1930-42) from a Bulgarian site. I was very surprised to see a second one listed, immediately, before I had received my purchase, from a "different" seller, but with a remarkably similar background in the photo. I thought that Bulgaria was a rather odd place for two such badges to turn up in rapid succession, but surprisingly (perhaps not surprisingly) I have since seen several others advertised there......... all by the same vendors so they must have a good source. Needless to say I have always harboured suspicions about the badge that I received and am thankful that it came at a very cheap price.

Donny B.
Old 25-01-14, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny B. View Post
I wholeheartedly agree with this recommendation.

I purchased a 16th W.A. Cameron Highlanders (1930-42) from a Bulgarian site. I was very surprised to see a second one listed, immediately, before I had received my purchase, from a "different" seller, but with a remarkably similar background in the photo. I thought that Bulgaria was a rather odd place for two such badges to turn up in rapid succession, but surprisingly (perhaps not surprisingly) I have since seen several others advertised there......... all by the same vendors so they must have a good source. Needless to say I have always harboured suspicions about the badge that I received and am thankful that it came at a very cheap price.

Donny B.
Hi Donny
Can you post some pics, what made you suspicious? Did you notice any casting lines or irregularities?
What does it sound like when you drop it on a hard surface? What type of lugs?
This will help everyone identify these fakes....
Thanks
Old 25-01-14, 08:57 AM

I agree with all that has been said. The individuals concerned are also selling UK and overseas police badges. The easiest way of detecting them is to simply steer clear of anything which comes from Bulgaria. Don't buy. In that way we will (hopefully) reduce the likelihood of their getting into the collecting chain. I don't think its a good idea to describe the faults as those involved in the forgery will simply seek to remove them and "up" their game. DON'T BUY ANYTHING MILITARY OR POLICE RELATED FROM BULGARIA. Also, the sellers have no NEGATIVE feedback(or very little). Why? If you've bought items and they are wrong PLEASE LEAVE NEGATIVE FEEDBACK and send the item(s) back. I've reported two of the sellers several times to the auction site but (not surprisingly) they have done nothing.

Dave.

Last edited by altcar73; 25-01-14 at 09:04 AM.
Old 25-01-14, 09:19 AM

Default Bulgarians duds

I have removed some of the faults I listed so that they can't improve on their fakes

gortupoto5 (922 )
99.2% Positive feedback.....is one of the fakers
Old 25-01-14, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigilans View Post
Hi Donny
Can you post some pics, what made you suspicious? Did you notice any casting lines or irregularities?
What does it sound like when you drop it on a hard surface? What type of lugs?
This will help everyone identify these fakes....
Thanks
It is lighter in weight and does not have the same comfortable substantial feel that my other similar badges have. It had a rather new shiney look about it that disturbed me. The lugs were the correct type that is rather unusual to that badge.

My big worry, though, was the number of them that seemed to be available later. Rather surprising for a place like Bulgaria! I don't know how many may have been available before I saw the first one. I had a bit of a dabble on the second one that became available...."different " seller name..... before I had received and examined the one I bought. I did not get that one for comparison but based on an exchange of emails, etc, with the vendor it would not surprise me to learn that a few were perhaps coming in to Australia through Queensland. Just a feeling!

Donny B.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1040737.JPG (61.7 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg P1040736.JPG (63.7 KB, 65 views)

Last edited by Donny B.; 25-01-14 at 12:29 PM.
Old 25-01-14, 08:24 PM

Thanks for the warnings.
I notice some Canadian badges listed as well.
What do you think of this trial strike with the Lambourne mark?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Kings-Col...item3cdb7fc761

Tinto
Old 26-01-14, 01:10 AM

If that exact mark was on a slider it would cast doubt on a badge. Regards, Paul.

Last edited by wardog; 26-01-14 at 02:39 AM.
Old 26-01-14, 01:12 AM

thanks for the info .......
Old 26-01-14, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinto View Post
Thanks for the warnings.
I notice some Canadian badges listed as well.
What do you think of this trial strike with the Lambourne mark?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Kings-Col...item3cdb7fc761

Tinto
Everything this chap is selling are suspect.
Old 26-01-14, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny B. View Post
It is lighter in weight and does not have the same comfortable substantial feel that my other similar badges have. It had a rather new shiney look about it that disturbed me. The lugs were the correct type that is rather unusual to that badge.

My big worry, though, was the number of them that seemed to be available later. Rather surprising for a place like Bulgaria! I don't know how many may have been available before I saw the first one. I had a bit of a dabble on the second one that became available...."different " seller name..... before I had received and examined the one I bought. I did not get that one for comparison but based on an exchange of emails, etc, with the vendor it would not surprise me to learn that a few were perhaps coming in to Australia through Queensland. Just a feeling!

Donny B.
Thanks Donny
Yes the lugs look OK
Are they cast into the badge or seperately soldered?
There is also the thought that some of the original badges they bought are being sold off?
Old 31-01-14, 08:58 AM

I was (fortunately) outbid on an RMC cap badge from this seller. Apart from the lugs being a bit rough, it looked genuine enough to sell for over $50. It even had "STOKES MELB" stamped on the back.
Old 31-01-14, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekx View Post
I was (fortunately) outbid on an RMC cap badge from this seller. Apart from the lugs being a bit rough, it looked genuine enough to sell for over $50. It even had "STOKES MELB" stamped on the back.
Do not be deceived by seeing hallmarks on the back of these badges. Yes, the makers marks are being copied onto the badges also. DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING WHICH IS OFFERED FROM BULGARIA. All badges and coins etc are being copied there. You are simply throwing your money away.

Dave.