British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 10-10-13, 08:03 AM
Former Member

Default Simple Things Please Simple Minds! - WW1 Chaplains

I have plenty of fancy and elaborate badges amongst my collection, but there is something about the basic simplicity of these badges which seem to attract the eye! Does anyone else have a "Basic" badge that they never tire of looking at? Unless of course you're the selfish type who just has them sitting on ones desk and never share!

Andy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF1003.jpg (62.1 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1002.jpg (51.9 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1001.jpg (53.5 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1006.jpg (45.3 KB, 71 views)
Old 10-10-13, 08:16 AM

I think that the badge you have posted is a superb design, simple yet stylistic and with graceful use of curved lines.

Conversely, in my opinion the most badly designed of any Great War cap badge from an artistic point of view is that of the Army Cyclist Corps. If in reality you placed two crossed rifles behind a bicycle wheel would all them except the rifle butts and the foresights become invisible?

Last edited by High Wood; 10-10-13 at 09:37 AM.
Old 10-10-13, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Wood View Post
Conversely, in my opinion the most badly designed of any Great War cap badge from an artistic point of you is that of the Army Cyclist Corps. If in reality you placed two crossed rifles behind a bicycle wheel would all them except the rifle butts and the foresights become invisible?
Hmm...never condsidered that
Attached Images
File Type: jpg THE ARMY CYCLIST CORPS f.jpg (69.6 KB, 39 views)

"One day I'll leave you, a phantom to lead you in the Summer, to join the Black Parade"
Old 10-10-13, 08:47 AM

Showing both rifles would not have added a huge amount to the cost of production and would have been more aesthetically pleasing but probably wouldn't have altered the course of the war.
Old 10-10-13, 10:17 AM
Member 2008-16- Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2747andy View Post
I have plenty of fancy and elaborate badges amongst my collection, but there is something about the basic simplicity of these badges which seem to attract the eye! Does anyone else have a "Basic" badge that they never tire of looking at? Unless of course you're the selfish type who just has them sitting on ones desk and never share!

Andy
Hiya mate,

Some time ago, we were asked to show our twenty favourite badges ( not necessarily basic ) ! I personally found that impossible to do thirty or forty, maybe but twenty, no.

Now you ask if we have one, albeit basic, you're having a laugh I have just had a quick look-see through my badges !! Royal Fusiliers and the trusty old lamb were the first I looked at but then I found a ' plethora ' of favourite badges, Coldstream Guards, lovely, simple and nice to look at, KRRC, 16th London and on and on, I nearly offered my Yorkshire badge ( enamelled ) as my sole favourite but it too was amongst many, I gave up ???

I then thought of a badge that I had seen in Wilf's Hertfordshire collection and knew that I had to get me one !! so I thought that if I were to mount one badge and put it in full view all the time, it could be the Hart !! In short Andy, one of the reasons I started collecting badges was the fact that there are so many beautifully designed badges out there including a very simple DERR which was my regiment, that I would have thought it impossible to choose ! in fact, I am amazed that with all your badges and I have seen most of them, that you can pick just one.

What an interesting thread though, it should throw up many different badges according to what different members want from a badge ??

Dave.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2013_10090010.jpg (62.9 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg 2013_10090013.jpg (80.0 KB, 36 views)

Last edited by davec2; 09-02-14 at 06:55 PM.
Old 10-10-13, 01:03 PM

Here's mine. I don't have a clue what it is only that it came with all of my Indian badges. The frame just happened to be spare. Looking at the back is rather like looking at a peacocks arse! The frame and badge are the colour of the 2nd photo'.

Old 10-10-13, 03:56 PM

The plain old South Wales Borderers for me. I love the style of the SWB lettering, almost graffiti like.
Old 10-10-13, 04:39 PM

A button from a Swedish shipping company.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SETS043E.jpg (88.6 KB, 29 views)
Old 10-10-13, 06:41 PM

Hello Andy,
Not really a cavalry collector, but, I love all those worn in Victoria's day, the quality and attention to detail, I've always liked them and remember collecting them as a school boy, almost all found in South Africa, where they could be had for very little!
I can see why you like your Chaplains badge too, a really nice example!
Kind regards Frank Kelley

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2747andy View Post

Andy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010989.jpg (70.8 KB, 62 views)
Old 10-10-13, 08:12 PM

Has to be this one, nice and simple design but short lived and pretty scarce.

Paddy
Old 11-10-13, 12:53 AM

A wheel, a scorpion and four initials. as simple as possible. And no I don't have one sitting on the desk next to me.

Rgds, Thomas.
Old 11-10-13, 12:05 PM

If I had to pick from them, a particular favourite, I suppose it would have to be the Chambermaids!
Love eagles, hate huns!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kelley View Post
Hello Andy,
Not really a cavalry collector, but, I love all those worn in Victoria's day, the quality and attention to detail, I've always liked them and remember collecting them as a school boy, almost all found in South Africa, where they could be had for very little!
I can see why you like your Chaplains badge too, a really nice example!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010990.jpg (60.3 KB, 34 views)
Old 11-10-13, 12:32 PM
Former Member

Frank,
here's a "Mint" post 1903 example, you can just out where the lugs were!

Andy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF1002 (5).jpg (71.3 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1003 (4).jpg (77.6 KB, 40 views)
Old 11-10-13, 01:14 PM

Hello Andy,
Always been a favourite of mine and yours is a very nice example, the Chambermaids did well in South Africa and fought on both fronts.

Last edited by Frank Kelley; 12-10-13 at 09:42 AM.
Old 12-10-13, 07:55 AM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....

Frank Kelly's comment on the Victorian levels of quality is spot on. These KDG badges were made outside of that era, but I still reckon they are one of the nicest sets I have and definitely convey the same level of quality. I can't really come up with anything as simplistic and striking as the ones Andy has shown, so these will have to do. As usual, my picture doesn't do them credit and seeing them in the flesh counts for so much more. But there you are then.
David
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KDGSGE.jpg (95.4 KB, 48 views)