British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Australian Military Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 01-04-13, 09:35 PM

Default WW1 Dog Tags

Hi

A friend has been given the task of sorting out a box of letters between family members from WW1 mainly relating to Robert Clive Keilor. We have researched his military history fairly thoroughly.

In amongst the letters is a dog tag and photo of Bob which I hae attached

My friend recently emailed me:

It's like a lucky dip; one never knows what is going to be in the next envelope, one this morning contained this pic of Cpl. Bob Keilor (looks older than 22) wearing thw waist coat that his sister Con (who saved all these letters I'm reading). He is on the banks of the Suez Canal; March 1916, having returned from "Gallip" and prior to heading to France.
Now the other is the big surprise, I opened another of his letters and heard a "clink"; and there on the floor beside me was his "dog tag"......WOW. This is the first one I have ever seen and my research so far has not extended to when or where they were issued or in what form. He mentions in his letter that this replaced the one he had on Gallipoli which he lost while swimming. He was a Cpl there made up to Sgt in France!!!!! So did he go without a replacement all that time...who knows. I suspect he sent this one home because it was replaced as he was made a 2nd Lewy

So my question is does anybody know the answer whether Bob would have been without a dog tag until a replacement was received? Also any idea of value of the tag (not that they will be sold).

Thanks in advance

Lee
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bob Keilor and Dog Tag 001 .jpg (82.4 KB, 63 views)
Old 01-04-13, 10:57 PM

Default Dog tags

From what I can see and I am no expert on WWI dog tags, this metal disc looks like a privately purchased item and not an issued tag.

It has got AIF on the bottom which I think is for Australian Imperial Forces and I am not sure of what they were issued.

British troops were, I think given two lozenger shaped tags in a green and red composition, quite what this was made from I don't know and I'm sure other forum members can help in this direction. One was supposed to be left on the body and one collected for records so I've been told by veterans.

I have bracelets both WWI & WWII which were private purchase and I think this may well be part of a private purchase, as to whether he would be without a dog tag for any period, I think the private purchase theory of mine may answer this question.

Value, priceless history . . !

An opinion only

Rob
Old 02-04-13, 12:36 AM

Looks issue to me. http://www.westernfrontassociation.c...1914-1918.html As Rob says- priceless as a family item- but money value-under £20, perhaps nearer £10. Regards, Paul.
PS I don't think tags would have been changed with change of rank- too much of a cost and admin. problem- if a disc has a rank on it, it relates to rank on issue- not the rank the person has at a later time. (same with my ID card in the 80s RAF- only changed it and had rank changed after a number of years when the old style was updated.)

Last edited by wardog; 02-04-13 at 01:05 AM.
Old 02-04-13, 04:18 AM

See here
http://www.flickr.com/photos/western...on/4103086837/

Probably answers your question as to whether it is an issued item or not, put simply, yes it is a 1907 pattern aluminium dogtag and yes they were replaced on change of rank

PL
Old 02-04-13, 08:58 PM

Thanks guys,

Will pass this information on, always amazed at the wealth of knowledge here.
Lee
Old 03-04-13, 06:36 AM

I think that between 10 and 20quid for a genuine AIF IDtag is a 'bit' on the lower side.
If the man served in Gallipoli and then came over to fight the Western Front, in an 'interesting' Bn, then I'd rather think that it would fetch nearer 40 and 50quid if you have people interested.

Genuine IDtags, especially Australian ones, do not tend to surface very often and are a collectable on its own.
Overhere on the Western Front they are highly sought after and on any militaria fair they would definately get to 40 to 50euro.

(even a 'simple' imperial one, either being the old alu tag, fibre ones or private purchase silver bracelet types go near the 40euro mark, so I think I'm even off the mark for AIF ones).

But then again, that's the demand for these items that pushes the prices overhere...
Old 03-04-13, 09:45 AM

Price I mentioned is what I would think for a tag of this type with no details of the owner researched- prices could well be different for an Australian tag sold in Australia with information known. I've just had a quick look on ebay and found two of this type that have sold recently as single tags-both under £30, but again- priceless as family history. Cheers, Paul.

Last edited by wardog; 03-04-13 at 10:10 AM.
Old 03-04-13, 10:25 AM

The dog tags of most British units were of a fibrous non-degradable material - one red disc and a green lozenge shape. The red disc would be tied below the green one and worn around the neck. The 'rule of thumb' being something like 'Red for Records, Green for Grave'. The red disc would be removed from the body and the green remaining with the body.
Old 04-04-13, 10:59 PM

Thanks again, has been very helpful
Old 06-04-13, 09:44 PM

A lot of the early WW1 Australian single tags have the next-of-kins name on the reverse.

It is also a boon to researchers that AIF soldiers papers are available to be viewed online.
Old 06-04-13, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunray9 View Post
The dog tags of most British units were of a fibrous non-degradable material - one red disc and a green lozenge shape. The red disc would be tied below the green one and worn around the neck. The 'rule of thumb' being something like 'Red for Records, Green for Grave'. The red disc would be removed from the body and the green remaining with the body.
True from late 1916. November I think.

Prior to this the British also had a single disc. This was often the same as the Australians, and sometimes just a plain round metal disc like the Canadians.

I believe that there is also some evidence that the single round red disc from the post November 1916 pair was worn alone early in the war. Maybe as a wartime economy?

The "Kiwis" had their own type of identity disc prior to November 1916. Made of a darker metal and made with "N Z" stamped into the disc at time of manufacture.