British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Civilian Services: Police, Prison Service, Fire Brigade, Merchant Navy, etc.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 01-01-08, 10:55 AM

Default Regimental Coloured Lanyards

This is a interesting area for collectors and there seems to be little published on more modern lanyards which with the passing of many well known regiments many are no longer worn.
The photos shows the following examples from top to bottom:

5th Kings Lanyard introduced for wear on batledress after the amalgamation of the Kings and Manchester.The black ,green and silver colours reflected the battalions rifle origin.

6th Kings ( Liverpool Rifles ) lanyard in twisted green and red.This example from an officers Service dress uniform and again reflects the battalions rifle origins

Kings Liverpool lanyard in regimental colours and worn up to the amalgamation with the Manchesters

Green Lanyard with twisted cords worn I belive by Liverpool University OTC and finally:

Kings ( Manchester and Liverpool ) green lanyard worn following amalgamation I am not sure what lanyard is now worn by the new Duke of Lancasters Regt.

I wonder if any members have other examples
P.B.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF5281.JPG (65.3 KB, 57 views)
Old 11-05-08, 01:32 PM

Do you know of any good sources for info on lanyards of older regiments (eg WW2 era)?

Graham
Old 11-05-08, 03:14 PM

Default Dof L lanyard

Just looked through some photos.
It appears that officers wear a maroon lanyard on the left shoulder.I looked like OR`s was the same but i could see clearly so i maybe wrong.
Old 11-05-08, 03:59 PM

Thanks Mike

Graham,
There was an article in an old MHS Bulletin, I will try and find it and post a scan

Peter

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 11-05-08, 05:59 PM

The problem with lanyard identification is that the MoD use titles like Yellow Number 1 and Red Number 3. So unless you have a lanyard with a unit tag attached or you have obtained the lanyard from the unit that wore it, they are a little difficult to name.
Old 11-05-08, 07:33 PM

If i can find it,i have a book "Regiments of the British Army" that has a lot of lanyard descriptions in it.Unfortunately it only covers the period from 1970 up to "options for change"and regular regiments but it is useful.
Old 11-05-08, 08:01 PM

The article I had in mind was published in the MHS Bulletin of November 1985 and listed those lanyards being worn in 1948 with,where recorded, the subsequent date of official approval.
I will scan and post the article in the next few days.
P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 12-05-08, 02:52 PM

Thanks, I'd be very interested to see it.

Graham
Old 01-07-08, 10:41 PM

Did you manage to get those scans?

Thanks,

Graham
Old 27-03-09, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8thfoot View Post
Thanks Mike

Graham,
There was an article in an old MHS Bulletin, I will try and find it and post a scan

Peter
Peter,

Did you ever locate the MHS Bulletin? What issue was it?

I am looking on information on when the first Regimental Coloured Lanyards were approved after the Second War.

Particulary in regard to the RAOC Blue/Red Lanyard.

Any reference would be wellcome.
Old 28-03-09, 07:39 AM

Mike,
I will have another search for the article later.What a pity there is no single full index for the Bulletin.

Peter

Old 28-03-09, 08:29 AM

I have found the article by Len Whittaker in the Bulletin No 142 of November 1985. He gives a list of Lanyards being worn in 1948 with ,were recorded,the subsequent date of official approval.

RAOC is under the list of those were there is no details as to previous authorisation and is described as Red and Blue twisted,worn by all ranks and approved on 2nd June 1950.

Hope this is of some help.

Peter

Old 28-03-09, 11:31 AM

Thanks Peter, I am looking for information on a number of RAOC none-badge accessories, and had difficulty with the Lanyard.
Old 03-04-09, 05:16 AM

KLR,
During period '58 to '66 only Officers and WO's wore the lanyard.

Tom B.
Old 03-04-09, 05:17 AM

Sorry that should have bee addressed to 8th Foot