British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 10-08-11, 11:33 PM

Default Are these original WW2 era PPA, LRDG & Royal Marine Commando insignia

I was wondering if these pieces in my collection are original or copies. Can anyone tell me anything about the Royal Marine Commando bullion piece? Thanks for your help in advance.

IMG_1390.jpg

IMG_1391.jpg

IMG_1392.jpg

IMG_1393.jpg

IMG_1394.jpg

IMG_1395.jpg

IMG_1396.jpg

IMG_1397.jpg
Old 11-08-11, 05:26 AM

Hi Tomomachi, the LRDG looks good to me. nice example. Others I do not know. Cheers JB
Old 11-08-11, 05:47 AM
peter616

Hi don't like the LRDG looks like the ones made in the 1970s,the PPA is a nice early localy made one, not seen the commando badge before will look to see if i have any info

peter
Old 11-08-11, 08:55 AM

I would not put my bets on the PPA badge in my view it is made to look old, it should have lugs. It is certainly not an Egyptian made one, once you have seen those they are like jewels. Cheers JB

Last edited by HamandJam; 11-08-11 at 09:04 AM.
Old 11-08-11, 09:04 AM
Banned

Just an observation gents,

Could the bullion item be Royal Indian Navy Commando?

Ry
Old 11-08-11, 10:57 AM

I believe the bullion badge is Royal Indian Naval Commando - I have the title R.I.N. COMMANDO letters in White Serifs embroidered on black felt. Love to have this one of yours to go with it!
Old 11-08-11, 07:39 PM

Thanks for everyones help and input on these pieces. So the PPA and the LRDG might be copies. They came out of an old collection in Glendale, California, a number of years ago after the owner passed away. I've always wondered if they were real pieces or not because this advanced collector had a few reproductions mixed in with a very large collection of elite unit insignia. Thanks again for everyones help.
Old 11-08-11, 07:59 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonomachi View Post
Thanks for everyones help and input on these pieces. So the PPA and the LRDG might be copies. They came out of an old collection in Glendale, California, a number of years ago after the owner passed away. I've always wondered if they were real pieces or not because this advanced collector had a few reproductions mixed in with a very large collection of elite unit insignia. Thanks again for everyones help.
I am by no stretch of the imagination a SF expert, but I would not be too quick to discard that PPA badge!!! It has something about it

Andy
Old 11-08-11, 08:28 PM

same remark for the LRDG JB
Old 11-08-11, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonomachi View Post
I was wondering if these pieces in my collection are original or copies. Can anyone tell me anything about the Royal Marine Commando bullion piece? Thanks for your help in advance.
Hello mate, dont go throwing away the LRDG badge yet lol

Im doing some research on this style of cap badge atm, Looks to have been possbily made in 44 in or around Italy. Hence why we dont find them over this way, our chaps had been taken out of the group by then

I belive there is a large photo in the Imperal Museum of a British LRDG trooper with this style of badge in use. if anyone has a photo of this, I would love to see it. "IM bugging the chaps at the IWM atm "

So for me, its still up in the air untill I can track down these photos etc.

Regards and my 2 cents

-Ric

PS Sorry I cant help with the others. Ol Martin on the forum had a great eye and has done quite abit of research on the PPA badges, fingers crossed he stumbles onto your thead
Old 12-08-11, 05:03 AM

Thanks for the additional information. I wasn't going to get rid of these pieces as even if they were copies I felt they were really good fillers. Thanks again for everyones help.
Old 12-08-11, 05:19 AM

Please note that LRDG badges were also made late war in the Dodocanese islands when the LRDG was deployed in the Aegean with the SBS. Could also be this era. Cheers JB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi ric View Post
Hello mate, dont go throwing away the LRDG badge yet lol

Im doing some research on this style of cap badge atm, Looks to have been possbily made in 44 in or around Italy. Hence why we dont find them over this way, our chaps had been taken out of the group by then

I belive there is a large photo in the Imperal Museum of a British LRDG trooper with this style of badge in use. if anyone has a photo of this, I would love to see it. "IM bugging the chaps at the IWM atm "

So for me, its still up in the air untill I can track down these photos etc.

Regards and my 2 cents

-Ric

PS Sorry I cant help with the others. Ol Martin on the forum had a great eye and has done quite abit of research on the PPA badges, fingers crossed he stumbles onto your thead