British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 31-07-11, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamandJam View Post
Hi Lads,

I have an example that clearly has been worn as arm patch by 21st SAS but appears an uncut beret badge, may be pre-dates the 21 pattern just shown here?
JB
Here is another - still on the last owner's BD blouse (left is mine and Hamandjam's from post above is on the right - for purposes of comparison only):
img211.jpg img212 DSCN7436.jpg
Old 31-07-11, 02:14 PM

Default 21 BD

hi Mike,

Thanks for posting that picture. I would be interested in more pictures of the BD blouse, including the full right arm with titles and wings.

Would that be possible, please?

That pattern I have seen of Winged Dagger patches worn on the arm are always that particular 21 pattern, although I believe two variations of the pattern exist. Will find some examples.

best regards,

Johan
Old 31-07-11, 02:48 PM

Default 21 SAS

The owner removed the wings, but they came with the BD blouses (second blouse was his National Service one - 2Lt in 1st Rifle Brigade), 7 Armd Bde, together with two more titles (all four are identical)and another, unmounted Mars and Minerva arm badge. You may have seen these but are attached again:
img039.jpgimg044.jpgimg050.jpg
Old 05-08-11, 03:33 PM

Johan just a quick note Special Air Service titles were certainly being worn on the Green 'Wooly Pully' jumper at Duke of Yorks in Chelsea in the 1980's and am sure it was with the Mars and Minerva badge. The M.H.S. used to hold their meetings there and 21 still had their offices and were based there. There was also a small museum inside, Andrew
Old 05-08-11, 07:20 PM

Default SAS titles on wooly pully

hi Andrew,

Interesting!

On Wooly Pully (barracks dress) I would normally expect to see black on green SAS rankslides instead of maroon shoulder titles and a Mars & Minerva patch.

However, in the SAS the Army dress regulations have often been ingnored.

Brittannia rules the waves! The SAS waives the rules!

Any other Forum members care to comment?

best regards,

Johan
Old 05-08-11, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reltub View Post
Johan just a quick note Special Air Service titles were certainly being worn on the Green 'Wooly Pully' jumper at Duke of Yorks in Chelsea in the 1980's and am sure it was with the Mars and Minerva badge. The M.H.S. used to hold their meetings there and 21 still had their offices and were based there. There was also a small museum inside, Andrew
I believe you, but am astonished that they bothered. Beret, wings and stable belt usually sufficed.