British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Civilian Services: Police, Prison Service, Fire Brigade, Merchant Navy, etc.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 04-05-09, 05:34 PM

Default Quaker Friends Relief Service cloth badges

A pair of badges to the Quaker Friends Relief Service, a little known outfit that did stirling work in WWII. Has anyone any info. on them please. John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Airborne 005.jpg (68.1 KB, 33 views)
Old 04-05-09, 07:48 PM

Form the age of (?) to around 14, I was with the local Friends and not once did anything like this get mentioned, so I would be interested in what you know.
Old 04-05-09, 08:05 PM
peter616

Superb title & badge & extremely rare. The title was worn by ambulance drivers & stretchers bearers in WW11 &, in WW1 they wore a similar title but I don't know the colours - it could be white on khaki. As for the patch, that was worn in both wars. In WW1 well known chocolate makers who were Quakers formed ambulance units & stretcher bearers. Also, in the 13th Battn York & Lancs ( Barnsley Pals) the stretcher party were all Quakers. In WW11, there is some reference to the Quaker ambulance drivers but I can't remember where I saw the article. Hope this is of help to you, Peter
Old 04-05-09, 08:15 PM

Default Quaker Badges

Thanks for your reply, it adds some more info to add to my research on these units. I contacted the local Friends meeting house and they put me in touch with one of their elders and on speaking to him it emerged that his two brothers were ambulance drivers in WWII and still alive. I am looking forward to meeting them and they also have lots of pictures. Thanks again for your help. John.
Old 04-05-09, 08:19 PM

IIRC this "mob" included some Americans and ended up in Burma.

Some were to have been sent to Finland at the time of the "Winter War", but I think the war ended before they got there.

I have an idea that they were also in north Africa.

In WW1 there was also the "Friends Ambulance Unit" (FAU) which was on the Western Front, and included at least one ambulance train.

The Society of Religious Friends or "Quakers" have a library and a bookshop in London's Euston Road.

The library probably have membership records etc. They do for the WW1 FAU.
Old 04-05-09, 08:40 PM

Default Quaker relief.

This is all great info. It just goes to show what a journey you can take in looking up the history of badges.If and when I meet the two brothers and manage to copy any pics. I will post them here. Thanks for all your help. John.
Old 04-05-09, 08:44 PM

Here's something that might help.
Jo
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friends'_Ambulance_Unit

http://viswiki.com/en/Friends'_Ambulance_Unit

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.
Old 05-05-09, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltigeur View Post
Another very helpful direction to go on, thanks, John.
Old 05-05-09, 04:37 PM

There's at least a couple of books on the WWll version.
Embers of War by Grigor McClelland (Loads of photo's).
Friends Ambulance Unit by A. Tegla Davies (photo's, maps and nominal Roll!)
Old 05-05-09, 09:40 PM

http://www.quaker-tapestry.co.uk/exhibition_centre.htm There was a small related display (uniforms) at this exhipition in Kendal which I visited about a year ago. No mention on the site though. Regards, Paul..... There was info on two brothers in the FAU and the Friends War Relief Service in The Great War in the Not Forgotten 'The men who would not fight' program on C4, shown last November.

Last edited by wardog; 05-05-09 at 11:03 PM.