British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 15-03-16, 03:55 PM
LYPAO Boff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dg View Post
I know its all speculation but maybe its because he's a regular army soldier(his line regiment being the 3rd Dragoon Guards) maybe all the permanent staff wore this title. I suppose without further photographic evidence we'll never know
I think you are on the right path with that thought

"A Yeoman from the Stalwart Rural Cavalry"
Lechyd da pob Cymro
Old 25-03-16, 09:01 AM

I've received the actual picture postcard now and have magnified it, defiantly a 2 part Y D title, one to look out for! One other thing I noticed when I magnified the photo is that my G Grandfather is not wearing his medal ribbons on this jacket, I know for a fact he had the Queens SA and the LSGC medals, any one got any thoughts to why he has not got them on this jacket? Your help as always is greatly appreciated
Old 25-03-16, 09:24 PM

Any thoughts?
Old 27-03-16, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dg View Post
I've received the actual picture postcard now and have magnified it, defiantly a 2 part Y D title, one to look out for! One other thing I noticed when I magnified the photo is that my G Grandfather is not wearing his medal ribbons on this jacket, I know for a fact he had the Queens SA and the LSGC medals, any one got any thoughts to why he has not got them on this jacket? Your help as always is greatly appreciated
I would have expected him to be wearing his medal ribbons.

Both the QSA & LSGC ribbons are quite "dark" colours, is it possible he is wearing them but they are not visible?

Alternatively, are you completely sure it is your g-grandfather? If it was a different Yorkshire Dragoons Senior NCO it's quite possible that he wouldn't be wearing medal ribbons pre WW1, unless he served in the IY during the Boer War.

That would also explain why he might be wearing what could POSSIBLY be a pre 1908 pattern S/T.

David

Last edited by davidwyke; 27-03-16 at 11:45 PM.
Old 01-04-16, 09:24 PM

Sorry for late reply, been away. Its 100% him, its the image of the picture I have of him as RSM, and one of the early officer photos. Maybe it is just the light and angle and a bit blurred, but unless he had a twin (which he didn't) its defiantly him. Thank you anyway.
Old 04-04-16, 11:18 AM

https://www.flickr.com/photos/133125320@N02/17529065021

Found the above photo, fascinating!
The Private lying down on the right has the Y D title my G Grandfather is wearing. The medal ribbon question, just a thought, perhaps he was wearing the bandoleer with that jacket therefore no reason to have them on, he was a small arms instructor, got that in 1913.
A lot of the soldiers are wearing the QO entwined Victoria crown full dress collar badge as a cap badge, some have the black rose and crown, some the brass one.
A curved 'Yorkshire Dragoons' title without the TY above, and some with, a right mixed batch, great photo!
What do you good people think?

Last edited by 3dg; 04-04-16 at 11:41 AM.