British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 13-06-14, 06:33 AM

Jerry,
There are others on here who would be better placed than me to advise on RWF STs, but I have not yet seen a definitive ID for it.

Then again I haven't looked too hard as, Welsh Reg't apart, STs aren't my thing.

Kevin
Old 22-07-14, 09:35 AM

Default Service Battalions Officers Badges

Thought I'd post this information before I forgot about it and then couldn't remember where I'd seen it.

The following are notes on Officers' badges for certain RWF battalions as worn during the 1st World War and as advised in Vol.IV of the Regimental Records compiled by Dudley Ward:-

10th Batt'n. Battalion Headquarters wore purple shoulder-straps; A Company, blue; B Company, yellow; C & D Companies, green.

The 13th, 14th, 15th & 16th Battalions wore the collar badge in place of the cap badge.

In the 38th Div the 13th wore a red flannel triangle half way between shoulder & elbow, 14th blue, 15th yellow, 16th green and 17th a salmon-pink square.

Officers of the 19th wore two strips of ribbon of the sleeve, upper red, lower blue

Last edited by 41st; 26-05-15 at 09:28 PM.
Old 30-11-14, 10:05 PM

Default Yate Pick Up

This was a nice pick up at Yate today.

A good quality Officers' side cap with the larger bullion badge.

The velvet head band liner would indicate it is an earlier issue but sadly only traces of the tailors paper label remain so no real way to date it.

Hwyl,

Kevin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC03920.jpg (56.6 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03923.jpg (117.3 KB, 36 views)
Old 30-11-14, 10:18 PM

A very clean example Kevin.

Some would say that the looped tail suggests a later version but I have yet to see any clear evidence as to when the design changed. Saying that though, I have only seen the other design with the unlooped tail and Griffin like beast on badges thought to be earlier in date, probably either pre WWI or perhaps pre 1920.

Jerry
Old 03-12-14, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41st View Post
This was a nice pick up at Yate today.

A good quality Officers' side cap with the larger bullion badge.

The velvet head band liner would indicate it is an earlier issue but sadly only traces of the tailors paper label remain so no real way to date it.

Hwyl,

Kevin
Great stuff Kevin, thank you for posting it.
Old 26-05-15, 06:21 PM

Picked up a nice pre 1st WW photo of a group of officers to a territorial battalion of the RWF.
What's interesting is that apart from the coloured shoulder cords in evidence a number of the officers are wearing the wide flame version of the OSD cap badge and at least three that I can see are wearing the South Africa scroll OSD version similar to the silver & gilt one I've shown. The officer sitting cross legged far right is wearing a one piece version of the OSD badge and the officer sitting cross legged second from left is wearing OSD cap badges as collars with "T"s below, something I'd not come across in the RWF before.
Cofion gorau,
Kevin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00970.jpg (57.6 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg Scan 13.jpg (71.5 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpeg Scan 14.jpeg (115.2 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpeg Scan 15.jpeg (45.0 KB, 26 views)

Last edited by 41st; 26-05-15 at 09:30 PM.
Old 31-05-15, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Picked up a nice pre 1st WW photo of a group of officers to a territorial battalion of the RWF.
What's interesting is that apart from the coloured shoulder cords in evidence a number of the officers are wearing the wide flame version of the OSD cap badge and at least three that I can see are wearing the South Africa scroll OSD version similar to the silver & gilt one I've shown. The officer sitting cross legged far right is wearing a one piece version of the OSD badge and the officer sitting cross legged second from left is wearing OSD cap badges as collars with "T"s below, something I'd not come across in the RWF before.
Cofion gorau,
Kevin
Very interesting Kevin, the VBs and TF often seem to have done their own thing and it is interesting to see photographic evidence. I seem to recall that one of the WW1 Service battalions, I think the 9th, wore OSD collars as a cap badge. I recently learned that the War Office apparently made the RWF change their dragons to griffins some time between 1881 and 1895 (it is not made clear when). They changed back again around 1920, probably when Welsh reverted to Welch.
Old 31-05-15, 09:23 PM

Toby,
This is what I have. Interesting info about the use of Dragons/Griffins. I'll look forward to anything else you can get on this.
Hwyl,
Kevin
Quote:
Thought I'd post this information before I forgot about it and then couldn't remember where I'd seen it.

The following are notes on Officers' badges for certain RWF battalions as worn during the 1st World War and as advised in Vol.IV of the Regimental Records compiled by Dudley Ward:-

10th Batt'n. Battalion Headquarters wore purple shoulder-straps; A Company, blue; B Company, yellow; C & D Companies, green.

The 13th, 14th, 15th & 16th Battalions wore the collar badge in place of the cap badge.

In the 38th Div the 13th wore a red flannel triangle half way between shoulder & elbow, 14th blue, 15th yellow, 16th green and 17th a salmon-pink square.

Officers of the 19th wore two strips of ribbon of the sleeve, upper red, lower blue
Old 31-05-15, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Toby,
This is what I have. Interesting info about the use of Dragons/Griffins. I'll look forward to anything else you can get on this.
Hwyl,
Kevin
That's it Kevin, the three Service battalions you mention, not the 9th, they were the unit where the CO paid for old Welsh style trench knives.
I read about the griffin, which can be seen on many badges and buttons (including officers' mess livery), in the book by Chichester and Burgess-Short on the history and insignia of British regiments, published in 1895.

Last edited by Toby Purcell; 21-07-15 at 12:09 PM.
Old 25-12-15, 09:14 PM

Managed to pick up the OSD bronze "S" version top right to add to my Officers' TF Batt'n examples. Standard versions shown for comparison in the second photo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC04425.jpg (84.0 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg DSC04427.jpg (64.1 KB, 26 views)
Old 20-09-23, 05:27 PM

Default RWF Variant

I’ve just picked up the badge shown in the centre of the 1st photo. What I’ve not seen before is this pattern of flames on an ORs cap badge.
Photo 1 shows it between an early lugged version on the left & a later shanked version on the right. As can be seen the outline of the flames above the grenades on the two flanking badges appear generally circular, whereas the flames on the subject badge are distinctly more angular.
In fact the pattern of flames are more akin to those found on one of the OSD variants commonly encountered as shown in photo 2.
I then twigged where I’d seen this pattern of flames before. It was on a 3rd VB badge as shown in photo 3 which is an exact match.
I’d be interested to know if others have encountered this pattern.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7479.jpg (93.1 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7482.jpg (112.5 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7483.jpg (104.8 KB, 15 views)
Old 21-09-23, 01:43 PM

Quote:
I’ve just picked up the badge shown in the centre of the 1st photo. What I’ve not seen before is this pattern of flames on an ORs cap badge.
Photo 1 shows it between an early lugged version on the left & a later shanked version on the right. As can be seen the outline of the flames above the grenades on the two flanking badges appear generally circular, whereas the flames on the subject badge are distinctly more angular.
In fact the pattern of flames are more akin to those found on one of the OSD variants commonly encountered as shown in photo 2.
I then twigged where I’d seen this pattern of flames before. It was on a 3rd VB badge as shown in photo 3 which is an exact match.
I’d be interested to know if others have encountered this pattern.
Very interesting Kevin and not a variant that I’ve noticed before. It’s an attractive looking design I think too.