British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Civilian Services: Police, Prison Service, Fire Brigade, Merchant Navy, etc.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 06-08-08, 10:13 AM

Question Bushveldt Carbineers

HI folks

As a new member I am trying to determine a number of things. I have found the Kimberly Light Horse Insignia through this site, for which I thank the poster.

However, my Grandfather-in-law was a member of the KLH, then transferred to the Bushveldt Carbineers and from there to the Pretoria Police.

I am trying to locate images of the BVC insignia (if any - and I am not certain that there is - someone much more eminently qualified that I can tell me this, please) as well as Pretoria Police.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. We've paid a guy in the UK to get this and he has come up with nothing so far.

Cheers

Kiretsu
Old 06-08-08, 12:21 PM
David Douglas

Default Bushveldt Carabineers

My understanding of units like (and including) the Bushveldt Carabineers is that they were virtually independent, often resisting central controls and operating somewhere between home guard and unofficial police. The situation in South Africa at the time lent itself to such formations and, whilst much of their activity was within the law, some escapades were questionable. Pretoria police information should be quite easy to access but Bushveldt Carabineers rather more difficult. An interesting period in colonial military and quasi-military activity. Regards and good hunting. David
Old 06-08-08, 12:24 PM
David Douglas

As a post-script to my previous posting, go to Yahoo and type in Bushveldt Carabineers. I had forgotten that Breaker Morant was an officer in the BV and there is quite a bit of reference to the unit on the Yahoo sites. Regards. David
Old 06-08-08, 12:43 PM
David Douglas

Another postscript - Apparently, the Bushveldt Carabineers was not the official name of the unit - they were formally titled The Pietersburgh Light Horse (or something like that). Enquiring under that title also may bring forth the information you need. Regards. David
Old 06-08-08, 01:27 PM

Default Bvc & plh

Hi,

I recently read a very good book on this unit. It is called "Bushveldt Carbineers and the Pietersburg Light Horse" by William Woolmore published in 2002. The BVC became the PLH. There are badges for both units. They are extremely rare. I have 2900 South African badges and have neither of these badges.
Regards
Andrew Dinnes
Old 06-08-08, 04:06 PM

The film" Breaker Morant" ( I am sure that is its title ) starring Edward Woodward is all about the Bushvelt Carabineers, It is a film I have watched many times and would be of interest to anyone with an interest in the regiment.

But sods law ,I have just tried to find my Video copy of the film to confirm both the title of the film and the correct spelling of the unit and would you belive it- I cannot find it anywhere.

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 06-08-08, 07:57 PM
David Douglas

I do believe I mentioned Breaker Morant in an earlier posting on this thread - yes - it is the correct title of the film. Made in 1985 the film stars Edward Woodward as Morant and tells the story of the kangaroo court of 3 officers of the unit as a ploy to deter international alliances in WW1 - a purely political trial. Worth viewing and as good today as when it was made in '85. Regards. David
Old 06-08-08, 09:29 PM

Hi David,
Totally agree with you a great film well worth watching.
Regards
Bantam
Old 01-01-09, 04:11 AM

Default Kimberley Light Horse

Well guys, I have been researching all of this. Many thanks to all who have posted. For the record, my grandfather-in-law, was Joseph Henry Simmons. His initial enlistment number was 1082. He was recruited initially into the Kimberley Light Horse from 16th Mar 1900, where he earned the South Africa Medal with clasps for South Africa 1901, Cape Colony, Orange Free State and Transvaal clasps, receiving a signed tin of Cadbury chocolate from Queen Victoria as a Christmas gift, before being discharged on 13th January 1901. He joined the Provincial Police for Pretoria.

Using a new enlistment number (427) he re-enlisted in Durban South Africa on 27th December 1901 initially into the Bushveldt Carbineers (which was raised in February 1901 and then renamed Pietersberg Light Horse in December 1901), before being discharged on 3rd July 02, earning the South Africa 1902 .

This being the case if there are photos somewhere of the insignia of these units I would be most appreciative. I know that the Kimberley Light Horse badge was a simple KLH bar, but don't know about others.

Any assistance would be great.

Cheers
Old 01-01-09, 10:43 AM

Default Pretoria Police

Hi, The Pretoria Police Helmet Plate is shown in Owen's book number 1863. The BVC badge is shown in Curson's book, but this was published in the 1950's. There are variations of the BVC badge as well. Owen's book is available from www.southafricanmilitaria.com
Old 08-01-09, 05:49 AM

Hi Traist
Thanks for the lead. I have followed the link and have sent a request to the company to see what they can come up with. Really appreciate the help.
Cheers