British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Australian Military Insignia > Formation Signs and Unit Colour Patches

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 08-02-15, 04:58 AM

Default 2/28

I have attached pictures of two 2/28 colour patches.

To my eyes the proportions appear to be distinctly different yet I believe (am told) that both are correct and original. What is the general consensus? Can that be so?

I Man
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1060452.JPG (52.3 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg P1060453.JPG (28.3 KB, 15 views)
Old 08-02-15, 07:21 AM

Hi Donny,

The first colour patch is a depiction on the cover of the battalion history and is subject to 'artists licence'.

The second colour patch conforms roughly to the authorized dimensions and is how the patches would have been supplied in Australia at least.

Examples of some of the 'T's do appear with an elongated upright but these are not particularly common and it is hard to allocate provenance to them. Several are in unusual colours.

Cheers, Keith
Old 08-02-15, 07:33 AM

Thanks for your prompt response. Keith.

Nicely spotted. The first one is indeed from the cover of the unit history. It is the only illustration that I had to compare with and, being shown where it was I presumed it to be a correct patch.

So the other one looks as though it could be alright, then, eh!

Donny B.
Old 08-02-15, 08:57 AM

Yes, the cloth example looks to be the real thing.
Keith
Old 09-02-15, 10:13 AM

The 'T' patch on the cover of the unit history is incorrectly proportioned. Yours looks more like the real thing. It superseded the 2/28th's white-over-blue diamond on a grey circle in December 1942.
Old 09-02-15, 10:02 PM

Thanks, lettman.

You know, with that one being on the unit history, I was rather suspecting that it would have been the other way round.

I Man
Old 10-02-15, 06:38 AM

Keith is right about artistic licence. There are lots of misleading renditions of patches around when you look at how they've been depicted on ephemera such as greeting cards, PR material and other printed sources.
Old 10-02-15, 09:52 AM

Donny,

Looking at the Colour Patch Register 1915 - 1949 Part 3, page 22-4

For HQ 9 Div the outside measurements of the horizontal portion is 2 inches across the top and 1inch down. The vertical portion is 1 inch across the bottom, and 1/2 inch high, and the area between the outside of the horizontal and the vertical being 1/2 inch either side. Total height of the patch being 1 and 1/2 inches.

Taking the measurements from 2/7 Fd Regt: The outside colour (black for 2/28) should be: horizontal portion 1 and 3/4 inches across the top and 3/4 inch deep . No measurement given the vertical portion.

I presume this translates to the other T patches as there are no measurements on them.

The shape matches the one you have.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Chris