British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 26-08-11, 11:46 PM

Default Do these WW2 Commando pieces go together?

These two pieces came out of an old collection. They were not attached to one another but amongst a number of loose pieces so they could have at one time been together. Did the Middle East Commandos only wear the red on black version of this patch below the M.E. Commando tab? If they do not go together does anyone know where the yellow (or pinkish) on black Commando patch was made? I understand that the yellow on black Combined Operations patch was worn by British Naval Commandos. Variations of the yellow on black Combined Operations patch was supposedly also worn by US OSS personnel (3rd Contingent US Operational Group). Could this yellow on black Combined Operations patch be a theater made 3rd Contingent US Operational Group piece?

IMG_1508.jpg

IMG_1509.jpg
Old 27-08-11, 05:49 AM

Tonomachi, you've shown us some great Commando and SAS items out of the old collection you acquired. Thanks for sharing, you've got some fine pieces there.

I don't think these two insignia go together. It's my understanding the ME Commando worn just the shoulder title; they were disbanded before the Combined Operations patch was introduced, I believe.

Regarding the second insignia, I don't know if it might belong to the other units you mention. The OSS 3rd Contingent OG wore a locally made yellow-on-black Combined Ops circular patch and shoulder title. Here's the set I have in my collection, for comparison.

Best wishes, castagain
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MECmdoTitle_ft.jpg (81.1 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0863.jpg (74.4 KB, 67 views)
Old 28-08-11, 03:41 AM

Thanks for the information as well as your scans of some really rare insignia. I've never seen this variation of the British paratrooper wing before which I'm guessing was made by the same manufacture as the 3rd Contingent patch and tab.
Old 28-08-11, 10:23 PM

Thanks, yes the locally made para wing came with the 3OG insignia, all from the same veteran.

Best wishes, castagain
Old 30-08-11, 06:25 PM

Lovely items!!

This is a good quick reference guide for combined Ops patches:
http://www.combinedops.com/INSIGNIA%20SPECIMENS.htm